[Ag-eq] Garden

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Fri Jul 10 14:01:43 UTC 2015

Last week, I started getting a few cherry tomatoes, which is early for
around here.

I’ve gotten some nice turnips.  I sautéed the greens with a bit of olive oil
and garlic, and mixed them with pasta and peas.  Yum.

I’m getting a bit of lettuce, though it’s getting hot, so it may not last.

I’ve gotten some fava beans, which are like giant peas.

The raspberries are done, and were delicious.  The blueberry in the sun has
lots of fruit, though I have trouble figuring out when it’s ripe, and the
critters are getting them.

The apple tree is loaded with apples.  It took a year off last year, as the
experts on the radio said it would after a big crop the year before.  I
expect a great harvest, starting probably late August.

The squash is coming on, and the passionflower is blooming.  It’s supposed
to produce passionfruit, which will be interesting.

Some of the roses are blooming, as are the summersweet and lilies, so things
smell great.

The coreopsis and cone flowers are doing really great, too, and should bloom
all summer.  And the butterfly bush is getting ready to do its stuff, too.

I love summer!

And I love this time of year, where a lot of what we eat is coming from the
garden or the farmers’ market.  And lots of fresh fruit!