[Ag-eq] gardening

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Thu Jul 30 15:33:54 UTC 2015

I've accidentally dropped packing Styrofoam nubs into my compost, and they
do not break up at all.  If you mix them in the soil, I think they will be
there long after we're both gone.
I have used them in the bottom of planters, to provide good drainage and cut
down on the amount of soil I need to put in.

The best thing to keep plants warm, I think, is digging in some fresh manure
under the soil.  I think it needs to be a few inches down, so as not to burn
the roots, but then it releases heat.
I have read that every layer of cover over plants increases the temperature
to another climate zone, which is about 5-10 degrees.  Hence, cold frames.