[Ag-eq] dairy cows

Zach Mason zmason.northwindsfarm at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 17:20:25 UTC 2015

I have 25 years of experience with dairy cows. For a family pet-or just
enough milk for you, I'm hesitant to recommend a commercially bred Jersey or
Guernsey as both of these breeds are capable of producing 40-50 LB/day, or
about 5 to 6 gallons of milk. You might be able to find a "dud" that only
makes 10-20 Lb/day, but I'm hesitant to recommend that too as there can be a
health reason they aren't making more.

I'd recommend goats or sheep before a cow if it's for family consumption.
Some goats can produce 20 Lb/day, but only for a short period of time.
LaMancha and Nubians typically produce less than this. Another option is
Nigerian Dwarves. For sheep breeds, dairy breeds can be difficult to come by
depending on where you are. The two major ones in the U.S. are the East
Friesian and Lacaune, but Dorset's have also been used in commercial flocks
for milk production.

Hope this helps,

Zac