[Ag-eq] Nella's Sheep Questios

nfoster at extremezone.com nfoster at extremezone.com
Sun Sep 6 11:32:09 UTC 2015

Jewel:

I have seen the back sides of sheep and that is why I'm leaning towards the hair
breeds instead of the wool breeds.

Do you sell sheep wool?

Can you find people to sheer your sheep?

Goat and sheep poo is not as messy as cow poo when on the ground, that is what I
meant by less messy.

Maybe I'm confused but I thought that I read sheep can be sensitive to copper in
large amounts.  I thought the reports were saying that sheep need smaller
amounts of copper than goats and horses.  A couple of farmers have told me the
same thing.  One man said to much copper could kill a sheep, so I will research
it again.

I keep baking soda, a salt block and a mineral block out for my goats and horse.
 I have seen loose minerals for specific species and ones that list several
livestock species.  The horse and goats have happily live together for years,
I've also had goats and mules together and it was very successful.  They seem
to have similar dietary needs and everyone has stayed very healthy.  I worry if
I introduce a cow or a couple of sheep, I will do something wrong and somebody
will get sick.

I like to do lots of research before trying a new project.  I don't want my
animals suffering because of my ignorance.  My other big concern about
introducing sheep is bringing in diseases that could harm the goats.  I have a
CAE and CL free herd and would like to keep it that way.  Sheep can carry those
diseases, but cattle cannot.  I have beautiful healthy goats, that are good
milkers, so do not want to put them at risk.

I really appreciate everyone's advice.  I love how this group shares with one
another.  To bad we can't get more blind people interested in horses and
agriculture.

Nella