[Ag-eq] sheep questions

nfoster at extremezone.com nfoster at extremezone.com
Sun Sep 6 13:56:02 UTC 2015

It seems that the beef market is really good right now and there are no
inexpensive cattle in my area.

As I said the 2 and 3 day old bull calves are starting at $150 and the heifers
are twice that and more.  The young weaned heifers are starting out at $600 and
up.  I looked at buying a bred dairy heifer and they are starting out at $1200.
Dairy cows in milk are selling for $2000 to $3000.  Even the dairy culls are
selling for $1500.    It's crazy, I don't know how long this market will last.

I was speaking to a local farmer the other day and he told me he purchased some
Angus cow calf pairs for $3500 a pair.  I think they were registered and all,
but that's more than I want to spend!  I saw an ad for an Angus bull and they
were asking $4500.

Farmers are buying up dary cows in milk and raising calves on them since they
can sell them for so much.  There's not that many dairy cattle for sell right
now.  Some of the farmers are tellung me that they've never seen the market
like this before.  I wonder how long it can last.  It would be bad to buy up
some and then the price drop.

I don't eat beef, so would like to know if it is more expensive than usual?

Does anyone know what triggered the market?

Nella

http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/ag-eq_nfbnet.org/thunderwalker321%40gmail.com

http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/ag-eq_nfbnet.org/zmason.northwindsfarm%40gmail.com