[Ag-eq] homemade cleaning agents

nfoster at extremezone.com nfoster at extremezone.com
Thu Oct 22 17:57:22 UTC 2015

This inexpensive cleaning alternative will deodorize and freshen many surfaces
of your home. Lemons, limes, grapefruits and oranges are common fruits used for
making homemade citrus cleaners.

Difficulty:

Easy

Instructions
Things You'll Need
Several citrus fruits
Large jar with lid
White vinegar
Strainer
Water
Empty spray bottle
Bowl
½ cup baking soda
2 tsp. liquid dish soap
Spoon
Knife
Empty 2-liter soda bottle w/ lid
3 ½ oz. brown sugar
Permanent marker

All-Purpose Citrus Cleaner
o                                1

Remove the peels from several pieces of citrus fruit. Lemon, lime, orange and
grapefruit peels can all be used in combination with one another. If you only
have the peels of one of the fruits, that is fine, too. Use the peels from
about 5-7 pieces of citrus fruit.

o                                2

Fill the jar with distilled white vinegar. Pour enough vinegar in the jar so
that the peels are completely submerged.

o                                3

Secure the lid tightly on the jar. Allow the peels and vinegar to stew in the
jar for about four weeks. Shake up the jar periodically.

o                                4

Pour the contents of the jar through a strainer once the four weeks has elapsed.
Do this two times to make sure that you are left with only liquid.

o                                5

Mix the solution with about ½ gallon of water. Transfer the liquid to an empty
spray bottle. Use the solution to clean countertops, sinks, toilets, bathtubs,
windows, appliances and most other household surfaces.

2.                          Citrus Soft Scrubbing Cleaner
o                                1

Fill a bowl with ½ cup baking soda. Slowly stir in about 2 tsp. liquid dish soap
until a paste forms.

o                                2

Cut a slice of citrus fruit. Squeeze the juice of the fruit into the bowl. Stir
again to mix the ingredients.

o                                3

Use this mixture to scrub countertops, vanities and other hard surfaces.

3.                          Citrus Enzyme Cleaner
o                                1

Fill an empty 2-liter soda bottle with 3 ½ oz. brown sugar.

o                                2

Cut the peels off of several citrus fruits. Chop 10 ½ oz. of peels into small
pieces to fit through the mouth of the soda bottle. Place the pieces of the
peels into the soda bottle with the brown sugar. Add 1 liter of tap water to
the bottle.

o                                3

Screw the lid onto the bottle tightly. Shake the bottle for about 30 seconds.
Use a permanent marker to write the date on the outside of the bottle.

o                                4

Allow the mixture to remain in the bottle for three months. This is the required
amount of time to release the enzymes from the fruit peels.

o                                5

Use ½ cup of the citrus enzyme cleaner with 1 liter of water when ready to use.
Spray the mixture on to countertops, floors, toilet bowls and most other
surfaces inside of the home.