[Ag-eq] Winter protection

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Fri Oct 30 13:30:07 UTC 2015

Hi Nella.

I really like my little greenhouse.  It's a Flowerhouse Dreamhouse, 8X8X6
feet, big enough to sit in on sunny days.  It is warm during the day, but
doesn't have any inside heat, so isn't much warmer than the outside at
night.

A lot cheaper alternative, if you want to try some late fall/winter
gardening, is a cold frame.  I got one on Amazon that snaps together like
Leggos.  I put it up in the fall, then take it down, take it apart, and
store it when the weather gets warm again.  It's about 4X4X2 feet.

It's supposed to work real well to get some fresh horse manure, which you
have, you lucky duck, and bury it in the garden 12 inches down.  Cover it
with soil, put up a cold frame, and the heat from the rotting manure is
supposed to keep anything in the cold frame nice and cozy.  I'd love to try
it, but don't have any fresh manure.