[Ag-eq] introducing Bonnie

nfoster at extremezone.com nfoster at extremezone.com
Thu Nov 12 17:07:37 UTC 2015

Tracy:

I tried responding earlier and the cat ran across the keyboard and everything
was lost!  She is a little cat that just showed up a couple of months ago and
I'm such a sucker I kept her.  She had been injured and her leg had to be
amputated.  She is doing very well as a 3 legged kitty.  She loves to climb all
over my computer table, only when I'm using it of course.

Yes, the hot chocolate was yummy.  This morning I put a spoon full of cream in
my hot tea and that was good too.  I'm not much of a coffee drinker, but bet it
would be great.

I definitely plan on making yogurt and cheeses.  I have a yogurt culture and
some different ones for cheeses.  I also have a sour cream culture that I want
to try.  I've never got to use it with the goat milk, not enough cream.  It
will be very interesting to see how things compare to the goat milk products.

When making yogurt I've never brought it to a boil; I think it is 112.  Then you
add the culture or some of the last yogurt and let is sit for about 12 hours.
It turns out better if you keep it at about 80 degrees while it is making.  I
usually wrap the container in a couple of towels and place in the microwave; it
stays pretty warm that way.  I use my microwave for everything but cooking.

I wish you lived close enough so that I could share.

When you try different cheeses or flavored butters please let me know what you
like.  Sometimes I try new goat cheeses to see if I like them and could make
them.

I got almost a gallon of milk from Bonnie this morning.  She should be giving a
bit more, but she is probably a little stressed by the move.  I'm also pretty
slow at milking her, which she probably finds annoying.  She did run right up
to me this morning so she could eat.

I find Bonnie to be a little harder to milk than the goats.  It may just be that
she's not letting her milk down very good.  Both cows and goats will do that
when they are stressed or someone new is milking them.  It was easier to milk
her today than yesterday.  I'm sure both she and I will get the hang of it.

Please let me know if you have any other great ideas; I like trying new recipes.

Have to stop typing, the cat is sitting on my shoulder now.

Nella