[Ag-eq] Cream

Jewel jewelblanch at kinect.co.nz
Thu Jun 23 23:32:32 UTC 2016

Isn't that odd?  allowed to sell raw milk at the customer's risk but not butter/cheese!

During the 2nd world war when New Zealand, apart from sending its finest and best to die in the
cause of protecting Britain, we also sent her much of our primary produce, so we were also rationed,
and that included butter and petrol.
Now, my father was a market gardener, what, I believe used to be called a truck farmer in the
States, so being able to get his tomatoes and cucumbers into town to Turner&Growers, the fruit and
vegetable auctioneers was, absolutely, vital, so, and this was against the law I think, we swapped
butter coupons for petrol coupons.
Our local milkie, Eddie Brooks,  had a Jersey herd and the milk that he delivered was unseparated so
it was very rich in cream.
Mum used to make butter from the cream we retrieved from that milk, and I remember that it was
pretty unpalatable stuff, but as we had no shortage of people willing to give us their spare petrol
coupon in exchange for butter ..., it mustn't have been as unpalatable to others as it was to me.