[Ag-eq] Bonny

Nella Foster jellybeanfarm at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 23:02:07 UTC 2016

Zac:

Do you know about a program called agrability?

I was told this group helps persons with disabilities get started in
agriculture jobs.

I've looked at their website some, but need to read more about the group.

Also do you know about the barber pole worm in goats and sheep?

I'm finding out it is a real problem in the south easterm states.  This worm
has built up a resistance to many of the dewormers that are available.  I've
lost 2 goats from this.  We tried more than one dewormer and it didn't stop
them.  I've been working with my vet and a researcher at the university of
Arkansas.  We are looking at the egg counts; they are telling me not to
deworm unless the counts are high.  It seems that some goats are just more
vulnerable to the parasites than others.  I'm very discouraged about this
and do not plan on breeding until I can get this under control.

I've also got to make some changes around here.  I have a very nice pasture,
but goats prefer bushes and such; they are browsers, not grazers.  My
pasture also tends to be wet, which the barber pole worms seem to like.  So
now I have to move the goats around, not letting them graze in the same
place for more than a few days.  I have a couple of pens that I can slide
around on the grass.  I put them out in the pens for a few hours each day
and keep them in the barn at night and if it is wet.  I shouldn't let them
graze if the grass is under 4 inches.

I'm learning more about barber pole worms than I ever wanted.  I can't
remember the scientific name for them.  I lost my buck goat and one of my
best dairy doe.  I have 3 dose that I'm milking and 1 young doe from this
years kids.  I only got 1 doe this spring and 5 bucks.  I sold the bucks and
am going to focus on keeping these girls healthy.  I hope I can figure out a
way to keep the parasites under control and breed and raise more goats.  I
am able to sell all the milk and even have a waiting list for the milk.

Any way if you have any knowledge about goats and parasites; please share.