[Ag-eq] FW: [New post] Learning Reality The Ram Way

Jewel jewelblanch at kinect.co.nz
Thu Aug 25 01:26:06 UTC 2016

    I avoid getting up close and personal-like with rams whenever possible, but my experience is a
little different to that of the Contrary farmer.
I found that the ram would not bother me if he was out in the paddock and, therefore, able to keep a
good distance between me and he, while, on the other hand, if I had to attend to him, I would get my
friendly sheep chasing neighbour to imprison him in a very small enclosure so that he, the ram that
is,  didn't have the room to mount a full-blown charge.
Once when I had the entire flock in the barn, the ram knocked me down 3 times, and that was because
being in the barn, he felt himself to be trapped but he had sufficient manoeuvring space to be able
to mount an attack.
Fearing that a 4th knock down might be one knock down too many, I left the door open into an area of
the barn that had an external gate and left him alone hoping that he would make his way outside.
Well, the first part of my strategem worked as I hoped it would;  he went into the part from where
he could go back into the paddock, but go back into the paddock, he did not do!
Instead, he waited for me to enter that part of the barn.
I knew what the devil had in hiswooly head, so I went into the barn, taking Guido, my German
Shepherd with me, figuring that the ram would run out into the paddock when the dog came in, but, he
was made of tougher stuff than that!  He ran, okay!  but straight at the dog, who, I must explain
was not a  trained sheep dog.
Guido jumped out of the way and hid behind me  At which point, I, accompanied avec, rather too
bright,  chien, whizzed through a door which I slammed in the face of the brute, thus leaving him to
A stroppy ewe has also knocked me down into the mud, but this was an accident rather than being a
deliberate charge.  She has never done it again, though she has had many opportunities.
When I carry the bucket of sheep nuts/crushed barly/molasses mix out to the barn, the ewes:  the ram
has gone:  were, inclined to mug me, but I keep them back by tapping them with my stick.