[Ag-eq] Lambing

Jewel jewelblanch at kinect.co.nz
Mon Aug 29 04:30:00 UTC 2016

I have 12 lambs now and apart from 2 premature still-borns, everything has gone without a hitch
until this morning.  A ewe had a single lamb that had a hernea which ruptured at birth.
  I had never heard of prenatal herneas, but the vet said that they are hereditary and not,
entirely, uncommon.
>From this, it would seem that the ewe had had a hernea, or, perhaps was just carrying the  gene, but
I have had these ewes for years, and as far as I know, this is the first time that any of them have
had a lamb with this congenital defect.
Sometimes the intestines can be replaced in the belly cavity, but that was not possible in the case
of this lamb as the intestines were covered in mud and there appeared to be a severe blockage in the
gut or, perhaps, the eurethra as the lamb's stomach was very swollen.