[Ag-eq] Garden

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Mon Sep 19 13:42:16 UTC 2016

I've got figs!  I didn't expect any, because my tree is only 2 years old and
about 2 feet tall.  But it had nice figs, until I gobbled them up.  And I
actually got some; no critter devoured them first.

My fig is Chicago Hardy.  It's supposed to survive, even if it freezes back
to the roots.  The first year I had it, it did freeze back, but it came
back.  I didn't get any fruit, though.  This year, I put lots of bags full
of leaves around it, besides putting it into the greenhouse tent, and it
didn't freeze all the way back.  And I got figs!

I had a really nice fig tree called Petite Negra that was getting pretty
big, but a couple years ago we had a very cold winter and it didn't make it.

Nella, what variety of figs did you plant?

I've also gotten a few cucumbers.  I was inspired by Nella, and my sister,
to make refrigerator pickles.  Boy are they good!

I tried starting cool-weather plants like lettuce and spinach in the garden,
but they haven't come up, so I'm trying again using a seedling-starting
tray.  It's been very dry, and, despite my watering, I think it's too dry
for the seeds I planted direct in the ground.  We're finally getting some
rain today (probably because I have to go out later, but I'm not
complaining.)