[Ag-eq] Garden

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Sun Sep 25 14:57:26 UTC 2016

I am trying an experiment.  I read somewhere it's easy to basically clone a
tomato by taking a cutting and keeping it alive over winter to plant next
spring.  It's real easy to root tomato cuttings, so I'm giving it a try,
just for the heck of it.

I was listening to the Garden Fork podcast this morning, and they had some
interesting things to say.  One was that they grew tomatoes through a fabric
groundcover with holes cut in just big enough for the plant.  They put drip
hoses on top of the cover (or the hoses could go underneath, whichever you
like).  The guy said he didn't get any wilt, because the leaves never
touched soil, where the wilts live.

They also said you can protect from squash borers or cabbage worm by using a
floating row cover, with soil holding it down all around.  Cover the plants
until they're ready to flower, and that keeps the butterflies from laying
eggs on them that turn into caterpillars.