[Ag-eq] I am Back

dogwood farm dogwoodfarm62 at gmail.com
Mon May 29 23:16:47 UTC 2017

Hi Nella,

I just sign back up last week thanks to David.  I had been having
trouble with my computer and Verizon and that was why I wasn't on the
list to start with, but now all of that is fixed and I now have the
Gmail address.

A lot has been going on for the past two years or so, the biggest
thing being that my cousin and I have finally gotten the property
settled, split and reorganized.  He sold his portion, which I could
understand and the man who baught it split off the 1 acher that had my
uncle's house on it, sold it to someone who flipped the house, very
stupid in my opinion and then they sold it again.  The man who baught
the initial piece has already built a house and a huge barn/work shop.
He is going to bring his horses and cattle over from where he is
bording them either this fall or next spring.  He hasn't put up any
fencing and he will have to do a bit more around the pond if he is
planning to let it be a water sorce for the cattle.

In the whole five years that we have been trying to get things going
in the right direction, my cousin didn't want anything to be going on
with the property according to his lawyer in case of liability.
Meaning no one could rent out our fields or even hunt on the 60
achers.  That really ticked off a few people.  At this moment, on my
section, no fields are being rented and only 1 person has written
permission to hunt.  That is still pissing a few people off, but I
don't care because I don't like it when there are people on the
property who I don't know at all times of the day and sometimes night
because they are looking for dogs.

My property is the half that is in two counties.  We want to clean up
and reestablish the two largest fields and plant a winter crop of
either wheet or rye so we can plow it in later.  The area is real low
in nitrogen.

We've got our garden in this year and didn't have to plant it in mud
like we did last year.  Matt and I were out there between rain
showers, but no mud.

This is what we have planted so far:
Seeds
yellow queen and silver queen corn
Italian roma II, flat green beans
slender green beans
cow peas (black eyed peas)

Plants:
San Marzanos tomatos
Cherokee purple tomatoes
yellow sweet banana peppers
kohlrabi
okra
yellow straight neck squash
bush cucumbers

6 different 4 foot round waiding pool containers
2 with loco peppers, small and hot
1 with pimento peppers
1 with Italian flat leaf parsley
1 with Greek oregano
1 with basil

This does not include other herbs that are in my beds around my bench
swing along with flox, sedum and multiple lilies.

Now with all of that said, as long as we can control our other
plentiful crop (weeds) we should be doing pretty good.  We are not
planning any summer trips like we did for the past to years until
December, so the garden tending shouldn't be interrupted.

So glad to be back,
Susan
dogwoodfarm62 at gmail.com