[Ag-eq] The BlanchRanch Bulletin

Jewel jewelblanch at kinect.co.nz
Fri Jul 7 02:05:52 UTC 2017

My sheep were getting out of one their small paddocks and into my garden, which, at this time of the
year has precious little in the way of fresh grass, but there are young trees, though leafless, that
had inviting branches that were, possibly, not quite as succulent,  but  were within reach and ,
when push comes to shove or when the devil drives etc what is a sheep to do?  a little pruning would
not go amiss, if she who would like to be obeyed, but isn't, even noticed!
Well!  she did and set about repairing the weakness, which the sheep had created,  in the dividing
fence.
My over-the-back-boundary-fence neighbour came over to see how I was doing and mentioned that one of
the ewes was observing my efforts and had a * bewildered look on her face.  I thought that, merely,
being a sheep would have been all the * bewilderment that one animal could cope with, but it
transpired that the expression on her face that Keith had interpretted as being one of *
bewilderment was, in truth, one of deep thoughtfulness.
When my homehelp came in yesterday, she reported that a sheep was hanging by one hindleg from
another fence which, she, obviously, had tried to jump.
She had attempted a huge leap of about 10 feet, but one hindleg had passed through between the two
top wires, and she was held fast by one hoof.
Eventually, she was cut free.
I thought that she might have dislocated her hip or have broken her leg as she was hobbling along on
3 legs, so I called the vet in, but, I am pleased to report that Miss Deep Thinker seemed not to
have injured herself too badly.
The vet gave her a couple of injections and will check her on Monday morning at 8:15.  I expressed
some amazement at the being an 8:15Am, as I have not been aware of such an A M since the passing of
Heidi and Minstrel, my last 2 goats.