[Ag-eq] Not Jerusalem artichokes after all!

Jewel jewelblanch at kinect.co.nz
Thu Jan 4 06:01:25 UTC 2018

They are Globe artichokes, a much less invasive species, which explains why they have not taken
over, but neither do they produce the edible tuber as does the Jerusalem, which I am, reliably,
informed is not a thistle as is the globe artichoke but are of the aster/daisy genus.
I haven't examined these enormous flowers, in detail, for several days but I see that the open
flowers have developed a perfectly circular patch of bristles, rather like a human head would do a
fortnight after a very thorough short back and sides haircut.  Is a circular patch of this sort what
is called a monk's tonsure?