[Ag-eq] Peas

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Sat Feb 10 15:46:07 UTC 2018

Do any of you Southern charmers know about the wonderful world of peas?  I
see all kinds in catalogs, not just the usual garden pea.  I suppose they
are dried peas, more like beans.  I see cream or crowder peas, that "make a
creamy pot licker sauce."  I see things like the Dixie white speckled butter
pea.  Ain't that a fun name?  But what does one do with a butter pea?  Does
anyone know?

I've been looking at heirloom beans, which have great names.  Purple Queen,
which has purple beans and purple-tinged leaves.  Mother Stallard's Bean.
Turkey Craw bean.  Annie's Irish Creek bean.  Bird's egg bean.
Disappointingly, Bird's Egg does not seem to be a really big bean, as I
would have thought.

Tracy, the bean hunter