[Ag-eq] Notes From The BlanchRanch: Avian Chronicle cont

Jewel jewelblanch at kinect.co.nz
Fri Nov 30 22:56:31 UTC 2018

Tracey!  It is the European starling, and yes!  rather than kill them in their thousands as farmers
used to do, now they encourage them as they are marvellous controllers of the caterpillars of the
grass beetle and pirana moth,  both of which are pasture pests and, which, as I said in my previous
post, can destroy acre upon acres of grass, literally, overnight!
They:  the starling [natterbuddies] have never reached the plague proportions with which you have to
deal.  The New Zealand Forest and Bird Protection Society have declared the European magpie to be a
pest species and should be irradeicated as it raids the nests of our native birds and kills the
nestlings, but I have not heard of starlings doing the same!
I was out in the driveway preparing to throw the next wheelbarrowload of weeds into the skip, and
there was Blackie Jr squeaking his head off with excitement as soon as he became aware of my
presence.