[Ag-eq] Taming wild yeasties

Aaron Cannon cannona at fireantproductions.com
Mon Dec 17 15:53:42 UTC 2018

Interesting. It sounds like what Susan's husband is doing, and what
Tracy is attempting to do are slightly different things. Please
correct me if I am wrong.

There is one technique when making bread where you prepare a sponge
about a day or so before you mix up the final dough. Basically, this
is traditionally a wetter mix, with flour, commercial yeast, water,
and sometimes other ingredients like sugar. It's not technically a
sourdough, because it uses commercial yeast, instead of a starter. To
complicate things more, some sourdough recipes also have a sponge
step, except it uses starter, instead of commercial yeast when making
the sponge.

Hopefully that helps make things a bit clearer.

Aaron