[Ag-eq] High-density fruit planting

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Fri Apr 12 13:43:34 UTC 2019

I just read an article about raising fruit in small spaces.

One technique is espalier, which essentially is building a trellis/fence and
pruning and tying trees to grow flat against it.  It's interesting to me,
but sounds like a deal of work.

Another way is to get a dwarf fruit tree, then prune the heck out of it so
it only gets as high as you can deal with.  Their example was a regular plum
tree pruned to only be 40 inches high.  It still produced quite a bit of
fruit.

And the last was to plant 3 or 4 trees in one hole, in a triangle or square
18-24 inches apart, then prune to keep the center of the group open.  This
sound real interesting to me.  It would let me grow trees that need a
pollinator, like peach or nectarine or cherry, all fruits I love.

Hmmm.  I have an azalea that doesn't look too well.  Maybe it needs
replacing with some fruit!