[Ag-eq] cleaning horses hooves

Nella Foster jellybeanfarm at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 18:42:46 UTC 2019

Daniella:

Feeling the hoof when it is clean is a good idea.  The groove along the frog
is very easy to feel.  Even if you hit the frog with the hoof pick there is
very little danger of injuring the horse.  The frog is basically a cushion
for the horse; it is designed to walk and run across sharp and hard rocks.
When the hoof is trimmed part of the frog is removed if the horse hasn't
worn it down properly.

Most horses prefer picking up their front feet over the back, so I suggest
learning to pick those first.  I stand facing the back of the horse and tap
him right above the hoof, which is his signal to raise his hoof.  I bend my
knee and place his bent knee on mine.  I hold the hoof with my left hand and
use the right for the pick.  The groove near the back of the hoof is deeper,
so there is usually more dirt and such there.  I make a few swipes along
both sides of the groove  and feel to make sure I've removed all the dirt
and any rocks.  I finish by using a wire brush to clean off the bottom of
the hoof.

I find it easier to use a hoof pick with a shorter handle; I feel like I
have more control that way.  In the beginning you might just want to get
comfortable with asking the horse to pick up its hoof.  You can slowly add
in the other steps as you become more confident.

Some horses have a tendency to lean on humans when you pick up one of their
hoofs, so just be aware of that possibility.  Most horses who are used to
being handled and ridden do not mind their feet being cleaned or trimmed.
My horse will actually start to fall asleep when the trimmer works on him,
other times he likes to play with her hat or clothes.

Have fun with your horsey adventures.