[AG-EQ] The animal rights campaign

Jewel jewelblanch at kinect.co.nz
Sat Sep 7 02:26:46 UTC 2019

Have animal rights groups such as PETA etc attempted to prevent sterilisation of cats and dogs?
I ask because there is an article on the Mother Nature Network saying that the number of animals
landing up in shelters has dropped, dramatically, and this, in turn, has been because there are
fewer unwanted puppies and kittens in the community and that near wholesale sterilisation is
responsible for this.
I don't have the precise figures in front of me, but going from memmory, in California 1971, only
11% of cats and dogs were sterilised, while  now it is, as near as makes little differnce, 100%;
and of those that are rehomed,    celebs are setting examples by adopting dogs and cats of mixed
breeds:  that I, sardonically, suspect is because they can then give their mongrels/curs/bitzers
fancy breed names:  e.g:    labradoodle, and all the other multitudinous  poodle crosses.
I read a list, yonks ago, of the portmanteau names that one might give to a vast array of
crossbreeds, but, I haven't seen that list for a very long time!!!
I must admit that I, too, gave a fancy name to a crossbreed that was generated when Sailor, my
unaltered Newfoundland male,gained access to a fertile Afghan hound that I owned.
The resulting puppies were, nothing short of beautiful, and two of them were adopted by Ted Arthur,
a bloke who boarded with me for a while.
Often, when he took them for their daily perambulation around the neighbourhood, passing pedestrians
would remark on their beauty and would ask what breed they were?
I told Ted, that the next time he was asked, he would explain that they were representatives of the,
recently, restored ancient breed of King Arthur's Hounds.