[AG-EQ] Question of the Day

Jewel jewelblanch at kinect.co.nz
Sat Dec 21 02:16:49 UTC 2019

You might recall that I posed the question:  "When is a digging fork not a digging fork?" and the
answer was:  "When it doesn't dig!"
Well, I returned the useless thing to Mitre10 and got a replacement.  While the first one had
squared-off tines that would have had difficulty piercing anything tougher than a Victoria sponge,
this one, at a pinch, could, though I haven't given it that test.
I went on to remark that, it seems, that manufacturers don't have too much idea re what jobs their
products are going to be employed to do.
One of the products concerned is the humble work-a-day spade.
Now!  there is a fairly likely possibility that said agricultural implement is going to be required
to break up hard, untilled ground:  much as my useless fork was:  but what do we have to press down
on but a thin steel edge which is, not only hard on the foot, but is ruinous to the shoe/boot in
which that foot is encased.
It would be the simplest thing in the world to weld a piece of steel pipe, or similar, to the top
edge of the blade, which is, precisely,  what I have done:  or rather, have had a friend with a
welder, do.