[AG-EQ] More about Guideon

Jewel jewelblanch at kinect.co.nz
Sat Dec 28 02:49:02 UTC 2019

As I said yesterday, Guideon's theiving raids, for the timebeing at least, have been reduced to,
nigh on, nil, but I am, by no means, kidding myself into believing that he has forsaken them for all
time!    so, to this end,  I am keeping up with the dosing of his favourite theft items with alum,
but he is a queer one:  puts himself, without the slightest input from me:  into the doghouse;  no
doubt, working on the principal that "the thought is mother to the deed!"
Yesterday, I was amusing myself outside while Guideon was shut in the house.
When I came in, I found that I had left that blasted middle exclusion door open when I had brought
my weekly delivery of "straight from the farm" milk in from the gate.
I opened the backdoor and he rushed out, giving every indication that he had been up to no good.
I had a quick check around and could find nothing untoward or out of place, but when I went into the
feed room, I found that he had made a determined effort to get into the barrel wherein are his
biscuits.
The last time he got that opportunity, apparently, I had left unclipped one of the clips that hold
the lid of the biscuit barrel on, and by getting his nose under the opposite side and lifting, he
was able to get the lid off, and as well as that, he barrel was, almost, empty so he was able to tip
it over.
Well!  this time, things were different!  both clips were down and the barrel contained nearly 25kg
of biscuits so tipping it over was more difficult.  believe me!  he had tried, and had shifted it
from one side of the room to the other, but it, the barrel, had remained closed and upright, but he
had tried, so to him, "thought was mother to the deed" and he had been "    A  BAD  BAD  DOG!!!"
As is his usual behaviour after a misdeed, he rushed outside, and kept  just out of reach, and
refuse, point blank, to come when I called him.
I am familiar with this behaviour having experienced such from , litterally, the first day I got
him, and that, I will describe.
He was just 9 weeks old when I got him and his breeder must have given the litter some
house-training:  a very creditable effort as it is unusual to find a pup of such a young age to have
a firm understanding of house manners, but if I had known then what I do now:  i.e. his amazing
intelligence and quickness of learning:   i would have expected nothing else!
Anyway, he needed to go out, but I was unaware of his signals, so, unavoidably, he dumped a
considerable heap of excrement on the carpet, and then, still not having realised what had happened,
I opened the door and he went out and crept about in a very shamefaced manner, and that has been his
response to having committed a sin ever since.