[Akron-Talk] minutes from January meeting

Dave Bertsch dwbertsch at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 14 14:58:47 UTC 2019

Note: Minutes from our Meetings will be distributed on or about the Thursday prior to the next meeting, for your review. We will NOT re-read them at the meetings, but we will vote on them. Please read them before the meeting, be prepared to vote on their approval, and bring any questions with you.

Greater Akron Chapter
Meeting Minutes of Jan 19, 2019

The meeting was via telephone conference call. Dave called the meeting to order at 11 am. A Roll Call was taken by Stephanie Bertsch. Officers present were Dave Bertsch, Kiana Hill, and Stephanie Bertsch, with 12 members on the call.

Announcements: Dave discussed Barbara Pierce's newsletter being available, in it Richard Payne mentioned in article how our newly formed chapter is off to a great start.  Also, Dave shared President Ricobono's January release was available, and how the U.N. declared Jan 4 to be World Braille Day. Also, registration for the National Convention in Vegas in July is now open.

The Newest Future Reflections was online with a list of Summer Opportunities for Teens, kids and college students. This had been sent to Akron Talk.

Monday Jan 28 is the Washington Seminar and Andra Stover will participate with the Ohio NFB group to take our message to Congress. Andra and Dave gave a brief update on the Legislative and Advocacy priorities as told by John Peree, the NFB Government Affairs chair.

Secretary Report: Stephanie read the minutes from the December meeting and they were approved unanimously.

Treasurer Report was given by Dave, who read the chapter financial transactions of December, leaving a balance as of today of 99.98.

Committee Reports were given.

Publicity and Social Media: Dave updated everyone on the status of our new Facebook Page and other ways we can publicize our group activities.  Anyone can get a free computer from the Computers for the Blind. The NFB will offer free Braille training sessions this Spring.

Outreach and Engagement: Andra discussed outreach options for the upcoming year. Dave reminded how we can utilize our eye doctors for outreach. Passing out cards and brochures were encouraged.  We need to look for ways to involve the community better and help them learn what the Federation is about.

Events Committee: Colleen is planning a Summer Picnic on or about July 20.  Looking for location ideas, to be discussed at later date.

Fundraising Committee: Kiana talked about members participating in a Sunshine Fund to donate monies throughout the year for a worthy blind candidate or organization that serves the blind, to be voted on at year end. Also looking to sell candy or have a dinner fundraiser to supplement our efforts. A 50/50 raffle will start earlier this year so we can sell them at the State convention.

Newsline Committee: Pat talked about her experience with Newsline and encouraged the group to use it whenever they can. It is now available on Amazon as discussed in the December Presidential release.

Membership Committee: Stephanie discussed the new processes and onboarding materials that will be given to new members as they are voted in.  A membership medallion will be given to all new and current members. Also, we discussed other ways we can reach new members in the community.

In wrapping up Dave asked the group for ideas on what topics or speakers the group would like for upcoming meetings.  Possible Bird Walk in the Metro Parks as a group outing to be planned in March or April.

Next meeting will be Feb 16 -at 11 am, at the Akron Library.  Meeting adjourned at 12:30 pm.

Minutes submitted by Stephanie Bertsch, Secretary