[Akron-Talk] minutes from May meeting

Dave Bertsch dwbertsch at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 11 13:13:32 UTC 2019

We'll vote to approve on Saturday

National Federation of the Blind of Ohio - Greater Akron Chapter
May 18, 2019 meeting was held at the Akron Library, 11 am

Dave called the meeting to order and roll call was taken by Stephanie

Dave read the One Minute Message for the NFB. The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.

May Birthdays were celebrated: Mary and Pat

President's remarks: Dave announced the monthly Sharing Solutions for Vision Loss teleconference  May 19; and discussed with the group the need to create a State Convention Committee and asked if someone would like to chair the committee-Andra and Pat will co-chair.  The convention will be held in Columbus November 1--3.

The May Presidential Release was mentioned, as well as the Blindness Experience Teaching Internship, with applications being accepted until May 31.  Those interested were encouraged to register.

Reports
Secretary Report: the April 2019 Minutes were distributed this week for review.  Members who reviewed the minutes should vote to approve. Minutes were approved by Pat, 2nd by Andra, all approved.

Treasurer Report: There was $18.00 collected last meeting from the Sunshine 50/50, not yet deposited.  No transactions since last meeting, balance remains $124.98. Annual dues of $5 are due July 1.

Committee Reports:
Publicity and Social Media: Dave mentioned Richard was having a meeting to establish a new chapter at the Youngstown on May 18.  Also, USD is holding  a Senior Smart Phone training class and Pat will help anyone else who needs assistance.

Newsline Committee: Pat encouraged members to request to Newsline for sponsors for local papers in our area, Record Publishing etc.  The more requests, the higher the more info that will be available on Newsline.

Outreach Committee: Andra discussed options of our group participating in different community functions and events.  We could have a table and provide services to the community to help get our mission out to the public.  Could we utilize rubber wristbands for the NFB and sell them for additional money makers?  Also, the group discussed using local community groups like the Rotary, or Lions to educate about our mission.

Fundraising Committee: Kiana was not present but is working with Bob Evans for a fundraiser as well as McDonalds and others.  She will be gathering more info for further participation for our group.

Events Committee: Friday, July 19 will be our Picnic at the Tallmadge Meadows Park.  We will have our monthly meeting and enjoy a picnic.
Other social activities were discussed and possible hands on activities the group can enjoy for the future.  The MAPS Air Museum, Ice Cream Social, and Trolley ride with Akron Parks were all possible options.

Membership Committee: Stephanie passed out the new Membership Coins to all members present.  The NFB Pledge was read by all.  New members will be presented with a ceremony and onboarding package.

Future speaker presentations were discussed, including a man who helps develop products for the Blind.  We may be a part of his product development.

Dave talked about an article in the May Braille Monitor living life outside the box.  The article presented interesting ideas to think about.  Where do I go from here and how do I live outside the box?

Next meeting will be June 15 at 11 am, at the Library in Room 1.
Meeting Adjourned at 12:30.  Minutes submitted by Stephanie Bertsch