[Akron-Talk] minutes from October meeting

Dave Bertsch dwbertsch at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 13 14:28:36 UTC 2019

Greater Akron Chapter
Meeting held October 19, 2019 11 AM
at Akron Main Library

Dave Bertsch called the meeting to order. There were 2 guests in attendancxe.  Dave led the One Minute Message for the NFB. The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back. There were 3 birthdays celebrated in October.

Jennifer and Sarah from OOD gave a presentation and took questions from the group.

Reports
Secretary Report: Minutes from the August 18, Sept 21 meeting and the Fundraising Committee Call were all approved.

Treasurer Report: Dave provided the following: Balance 9/21/19 $242.98. Deposits since $436.  This included numerous donations thru our fundraiser, $142 from Beef O 'Brady's, and new members dues $10.00.  Expenses were $363.  This was for vinyl table cover-$60, Wristbands-$243, Affiliate dues-$32. And $60 for Cincy table cover, which will be reimbursed. Balance 10/19/19 $283.98.
Committee Reports:
Publicity and Social Media: Dave discussed the use of Facebook with updates up to 54 followers.  Continue to promote via word of mouth.

Newsline Committee: Pat told that 12 members are using Newsline currently. Encouraged members to call in for NFBOhio conference call on Sunday "Removing Clutter" at 7pm.

Outreach Committee: Andra enjoyed our fundraiser and promoting Meet the Blind Month by talking with the public that day. She announced on Jan 22 at Akron U there will be an event thru the Office of Accessibility.  Our group will participate.  More info to follow.

Fundraising Committee: Dave announced our Fundraiser on October 3rd at Beef o Brady's was a success.  Raising $142 from the proceeds of the sales, and over $160 in cash donations. Participation from the group was great!

During the meeting additional cash donations from our Chapter members of $40 were collected.   Also, discussion on how we can utilize the Acme Receipt program.

State Convention Committee: Pat and Andra gave updates on the State Convention Nov 1- Nov 3. Pat organized the schedule for those who were assisting at the registration table during the convention.   Also, there was a motion to donate $100 to the State for the Movement during the convention. Andra 2nd and the group approved.  Door Prize donations were discussed.  Braille UNO cards by Pat and Jim were donated.  As well as $25 Target gift card from Target.  All the items for the BBQ Basket were collected for the auction. Also discussed were the wristbands that would be sold during the convention, and possibly candy.

Events Committee: Colleen announced the Dec 21 meeting will be held at Spaghetti Warehouse in Akron.  We will have lunch and gift exchange ($5-$10) for those who want to participate. She is also planning to have a holiday stocking for a raffle prize. More info to follow.

Membership Committee: Stephanie read an email from Jamie regarding the accessibility workshop she attended in Cleveland.  She told how much information she received and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Unfortunately, she was ill and could not attend the October meeting.

Other Business and Important Dates:
November 1, 2, 3 State Convention in Columbus
November 16 meeting at Library - room 1 - 11 am
December 21 for Holiday meeting

Kiana motioned to adjourn the meeting and Pat 2nd.
Minutes submitted by Stephanie Bertsch, Secretary