[Akron-Talk] minutes

Dave Bertsch dwbertsch at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 15:00:26 UTC 2021

we're getting the minutes from our meeting to you extra fast this month
because some reminders are in them, for events happening this week. They
are attached as a Word document and appear as text below. Check it out and
let me know if you need help with anything, and have a terrific week--Dave

*National Federation of the Blind of Ohio*

*Greater Akron Chapter*

*Minutes of our March 20, 2021 meeting.*

  *The meeting was called to order by Dave Bertsch at 11:03 a.m. on our
Conference Line. Dave took roll call, explaining that our Secretary
Stephanie was attending to her mother who is at UH for more heart tests and
procedures. Our Vice President was also not with us, as Jessica has some
challenges right now and deadlines regarding her schooling, and by golly we
need our VP to get that degree and be able to teach us how to make some
good music. Krissy Coen who shared Jessica’s challenge which we know she
will get through with flying colors. Thoughts and prayers were offered by
several members for Stephanie and her mom, and for Jessica’s situation. We
also learned our Andra Stover is attending the Midwest Students event today
at/with the Louisiana Center. As for the roll call itself, we still enjoyed
18 members and 1 guest on the call today.*

*Dave led the group in our Message: The National Federation of the Blind
knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your
future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low
expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can
live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.*

*President’s Report*

*Dave asked Sharon to lead us in a 5 minute Tai Chi warm-up, which we did
and all got limber and loose as a goose. Thanks Sharon.*

*Dave announced our March Birthdays Beth and Michael, as well as some
upcoming meetings such as Sharing Solutions and the Leadership Training
next Saturday from 1 to 5 on Ohio Zoom.*

*He also reminded us of the new Donations committee to be created over the
next few months. If you are interested in being a part of it let Dave know.*

*We touched on the Covid situation and vcaccines, and most members have
gotten their first shot. There are many places a person can and should
register, including Walgreens and CVS, Summit County and even smaller
pharmacies like Sand Run. Todd went to Ravenna, Dave to Cleveland, to get
available shots. As we get closer to March 29 the shots will be open to a
wider population, we urge all members and their families to get vaccinated.*

*Reports*

*Secretary*

*February minutes were sent to all on Thursday March 18. Pat motioned to
approve them and Kathy seconded, and the minutes were approved unanimously.*

*Treasurer *

*Pat reported the balance at February meeting was $680.23. Since then we
deposited $30 in dues, and sent $5 to the PAC plan, leaving a current
balance of $705.23. We anticipate receiving a check from Acme soon, and one
from Pampered Chef to deposit by next meeting. Dave also mentioned he has
another $20 in dues he has mailed to Pat for deposit.*

*Committee Reports*

*Publicity and Social Media Committee *

*Dave shared the Facebook page activity, and Alex shared a new audio
meeting platfoerm he is using foe other meetings, called Clubhouse, which
we may check out for future or special meetings and/or events.*

*Newsline Committee *

*Pat and Todd J. mentioned the tech issues Newsline has been having,
especially at 9 p.m.*

*Veterans Committee *

*no report*

*Fundraising Committee *

*Dave recapped the comments made earlier that checks are expected from Acme
and Pampered Chef soon. Also Beef O’Bradys is interested in hosting us agin
this fall, and we remain open to exploring a fundraising event at another
venue or restaurant, so if you know a place or have a contact, let Dave
know.*

*Conventions Committee *

*Pat and Richard both reminded all of the state convention being held in
Columbus, the first weekend in November. The room rate is just $85 and
includes two breakfasts. The national onvention is open for registration
and will, as last year, be entirely virtual.*

*Events Committee*

*No events to report, although Todd shared the Highbrook has unfortunately
closed and canceled everything for the entire year, but that Cleveland
Sight Center does still do daily teleconference and Zoom programs. Call
Todd for more info on these, at 330-612-4200.*

*Membership Committee *

*We had a new member for consideration and a vote today, Michael Moore. He
has paid dues and shared some information about himself;minclding that he
is a braille teacher. The members voted in Michael as a new member
unanimously, motion by Jimmy and seconded by Pat, and we welcomed him as
only Akron can. Dave led Michael in the NFB Pledge: I pledge to participate
actively in the effort of the National Federation of the Blind to achieve
equality, opportunity, and security for the blind; to support the policies
and programs of the Federation; and to abide by its Constitution. *

*Community Outreach *

*no report*

*Technology Committee *

*Kathy led a discussion on several tech topics. First, the BARD system will
not work with iOS 11 or older versions, so if your iPhone or iPad is using
that operating system or older, and you want to access BARD that way, you
need to upgrade. Next, we heard about the iMac, which is the desktop
version, and the Macbook, which is the laptop version of Mac. The Macbook
comes in two versions, the Air, which has function keys and easier to learn
and use than th Pro version which does not. The floor was opened for
members to share their favorite technology. Pat started with her iPhone,
which Dave echoed, as the most useful resource. Cammie said her old school
Apex brailler, and Michael likes his Focus Forty brailler. Kathy also
mentioned the survey her committee will do soon, to see what technology
each of us uses most and what issues we are facing, to put together topics
for the committee to present that will benefit the most of us. Please
participate fully when you are contacted by the committee.   *

*Other Business*

*Remember to contribte recipes to the affiliate cookbook project. You can
send them to Pat at **patrinkle at icloud.com* <patrinkle at icloud.com>*. *

*Guest Comments*

*Rrichard Payne reminded us of the meeting on Ohio Zoom, with OOD staff on
Tuesday the 23rd at 4:30. We need to be informed about what OOD does for us
and those we can help, and show OOD that we care and represent the
affiliate in big numbers. Please call or click in.*

*Dave thanked everyone for another great Akron meeting.*

*Dates*

*Next Meeting - April 17*

*National Convention - July 2021 Virtual*

*State Convention - November 5-7 2021 in Columbus*

*Adjourn*

*Somebody made a motion to adjourn and somebody seconded the motion, amidst
a sudden flood of background noise on the line. Have a great week everyone.*

--
Dave Bertsch
330-472-4084