[Akron-Talk] minutes

Dave Bertsch dwbertsch at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 02:12:06 UTC 2021

here are the minutes from our last meetin held in Augustg, please review
them and be prepared to vote to approve them, thanks

Greater Akron Chapter

Meeting August 21, 2021

The meeting was called to order at 11 a.m. on our Chapter Conference Call
Line.  Stephanie took roll call, with 9 members and 2 guests present.

Dave and Jessica led the group reading the 1-Minute Message: The National
Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that
defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind
people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and
our dreams. You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you
back.

President’s Report

Dave announced next meeting would be held in person at the Akron Library on
Sept 18.  We will continue with joint conference call l also.

Dave clarified on the Constitution update that dues are paid are good thru
end of Dec 31 , 2022.  Board will meet and approve the change.

Dave is looking for volunteer to chair the membership committee.

Dave will also be updating and using the voice box for messages and updates
to call in for.

VP Report:  John Ballard from Ind Living asked Jessica to give report at
the Youth Leadership Forum.  Also participated in Pod Cast Interview on
social media with XXXXXX

Andra successfully cooked meal for 8 and is planning to graduate in Sept.

Student division is having fundraiser selling T-shirts for $25.00, and
$20.00 at convention. Jessica has details.

Secretary Report:

June minutes-  will be approved at next meeting.

Treasurer Report – Pat reported activities for June 1 balance $826.23.
There were deposits for dues and Acme  $240.00, Pampered Chef deposit
$238.65. Expenses this period include $5 for PAC. Balance $1284.88.

July 1-31,2021 – Balance $1284.88, Expenses for Metro parks $60.00, Pac
$10.00, Several transactions for S4S-Office Max $129.61 & $71.40,
Independent Living 7/28 $121.01.  Deposits include dues $50.00.  Rolling
Thunder donations $200.00 for S4S. Ending Balance $1162.86.

Group will revisit June report to confirm deposits made.

Motion to approve July report approved by Barbara, and 2nd by Todd.

Pat reminded the group the Acme Cash Back program has started and start
saving receipts for additional fundraising thru Dec 25.

Committee Reports

Publicity and Social Media Committee - Dave  reported over 300 participants
on Facebook, looking for volunteers to get involved.

Newsline Committee – Todd reported some issues with the Newsline system and
had some tech glitches. and how they are fixing the issues.

Veterans Committee – No updates

Fundraising Committee - Dave has confirmed next fundraiser will be at Beef
o Brady’s Oct 7th – Looking for other ideas or restaurants in other areas
of town.  Also, Pat has booked a Tastefully Simple fundraiser that will be
held online in August.

Convention Committee –State Convention will be held in Columbus 1st week in
November in person.  More info at next meeting.

Events Committee – Jessica and Chrissy thanked the group for the successful
picnic, good time by all was had.  Looking at next year combining picnic
and Supplies 4 Scholars event for 1 summer event.

Pat thanked the group for the donations and support at the Supplies 4
Scholars event.

Community Outreach Committee- We will provide additional outreach at Beef o
Brady’s, meet the blind month in October.

Technology Committee – no updates

Membership Committee- New members Nada Douglas, Perry and Lisa Martin were
voted in at the picnic on Aug 6.  Today Gail Rivers introduced herself to
the group.  Pat made motion to vote Gail Rivers as new member, Jessica 2nd.
Guest Jennifer is also interested and may join the group soon.

Speaker- Todd Jaffray- spoke about the importance of braille, learning
braille and how it helps everyone stay connected.  He stressed it is very
much needed by all and is important skill to have.

Pat asked about the Braille Books that were donated by Percy and Lisa
Martin, could we bring to the meeting and have an informal lending service
for our group to practice braille skills.

Other Business

Upcoming Events/Dates

Next meeting Sept 18 – at the Akron Library at 11am.

Oct 7 – Beef o Brady’s Fundraiser.

State Convention – November 5-7 2021 on Zoom

Motion to adjourn by Pat, and Michael 2nd. Meeting was adjourned at 12:30pm

Dave Bertsch
330-472-4084