[Arizona-students] Crossing the Street for the Blind?

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 03:13:49 UTC 2008

Hi all,

Allison, I agree with the  points that you raise here. Additionally,
if you look closely at what the technology would  actually do, it
doesn't protect us from quiet cars at all. The technology is only
activated when the user veers  outside the crosswalk, so if you're
going straight across the street and a hybrid car turns  in front of
you  or runs the red  light, all the GPS on  earth isn't going to
protect you. Furthermore, the drivers  who are the  biggest risk for
us are those  who disobey the traffic lights, so just turning  all the
lights red will only protect us from the lawful drivers--who will
probably also pay enough attention to see you  veer  toward them and
stop!

As someone who has survived many  a crooked street crossing over the
years,  I also  have major  concerns about this device being more  of
a distracting, frightening hindrance than a lifesaver. When I'm trying
to cross a busy  street with potential turning traffic, the last thing
I need to hear is some gadget jabbering directions in my ear. In fact,
usually if  I do veer it's because some extraneous noise is
distracting me or making me nervous. Hearing  an "audible warning"
would  probably just cause  me to become more disoriented instead of
enabling me to keep my ears focused on parallel and standing traffic,
which is the best way to straighten out. Furthermore, by changing the
traffic cycle  the device would interfere with these essential traffic
cues that blind pedestrians need to correct any veering and keep
oriented once they reach the opposite side of the street.

So, as someone who has been blind for 23 years I have serious doubts
that the creators of this device have  any idea what techniques blind
pedestrians actually use to cross the  street. Unlike some
Federationists, I am not opposed to  audible signals because I know
there  are some intersections where it is legitimately hard to
identify the green  light just by listening. After all,  if sighted
people get to see  a flashing "Walk" sign I see no reason why this
shouldn't be accessible in some unobtrusive audio  form as well. But
once I'm actually in the street, I don't want any electronic voices
talking to me and  I most certainly don't need something to mess with
the surrounding traffic flow.

Cheers
Arielle