[Arizona-students] Fw: NFBA president's July message

Allison Hilliker (NFBA) nfbarizona at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 02:55:52 UTC 2010

News from the NFB of Arizona!

====

July 21, 2010

Hello, fellow Federationists,

At our NFB national convention in Dallas, we were able to announce to the convention that "Twenty five first-timers at this convention are from Arizona!"  We are hoping to make it a goal for 2011 to bring fifty first-timers to convention!

The audio from presentations given during the general sessions of the 2010 NFB National Convention are now available at:
http://www.nfb.org/nfb/national_convention_highlights.asp

The 2010 NFB resolutions voted upon at national convention are attached as an MS Word file.  We approved twenty five resolutions this year, covering a wide range of subjects.  As you know, our resolutions establish policy and guide efforts of the NFB and our state affiliates for the next year.

On June 15, We organized a new chapter in Yuma, Arizona.  Connie Ryan, Lee Kerr, Marvin Rochelle, Allison Hilliker, Fred Rockwell, Tony Sohl, Sami Hamed, and I participated in the first organizational meeting of the Yuma chapter.  Seventeen dues-paid members of the new chapter approved a NFB chapter constitution and elected officers.  These new chapter officers are:  Diana Robleto, president; Kevin Lowe vice-president; Anna Miller secretary; and Ofelia Mendoza treasurer.  We will welcome the new Yuma chapter at our September state convention and present them with their charter.

Our NFB of Arizona state convention will take place September 10 through 12 at the Phoenix Sheraton Crescent hotel.  The pre-registration form is attached as a MS Word files, and also appears at the end of this message.  Hotel cost is $85.00 plus tax per night and reservations can be called in at -
1 800 325-3535.  Please fill in the pre-registration form as early as you can!

Again this year, Arizona RSA Vocational Rehabilitation Services will assist new clients who have not yet attended their first consumer organization state convention, with their hotel, travel, registration and meal expenses.  New clients should contact their VR counselor.

*  NFB of Arizona quarterly affiliate board meeting will be held Saturday, August 14, from 10 AM through 3 PM at the Firehouse located at 150 s 12 st, Phoenix.
The West Valley chapter will host, with morning refreshments and lunch available for a $5.00 donation.
All meetings of the NFBA are open to our members as well as non-members.  You are welcome and encouraged to attend this board meeting!

*  On Saturday, July 24th, Southwestern Eye Center will be teaming up with
the Lions Sight & Hearing Foundation to provide those in financial need
with free eye exams and glasses. This event will be referred to as
"Service AZ Day". It will be held at the Stapley location (1055 S.
Stapley Dr.Mesa, AZ 85204) from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm.
The Lions Sight & Hearing Foundation will be handling all of the
pre-screening ahead of time. If you know of someone that falls in this
category of financial need and would like to help them out, please refer
them to the Lions Foundation at 602-954-1723.

*  For 3 years running, the Project Working Mom scholarship program has awarded millions of dollars to moms and dads, who want a college degree. This year, Project Working Mom will award another $5 million in full-tuition scholarships, at 8 of the country's top online colleges. The program is made possible by valuable sponsors and promoters, including The Tyra Show. The Tyra Show. is also lending coverage to Project Working Mom's unique scholarship program and to the overall issue of adult education.

http://tyrashow.warnerbros.com/promotions/projectworkingmom/

*  The NFB website www.teachblindstudents.org is a resource for those interested in exploring what it would be like to be a teacher of the blind.  The initiative aims to increase the ranks of educational professionals specializing in teaching blind students through the Teacher Recruitment Network and Teacher of Tomorrow mentoring program.

If you know of a college student or a teacher who is considering changing the focus of his/her areas of teaching, please refer him or her to the website to explore the field of teaching blind students.

  a.. Deaf blind Issue that requires our action -
A message from American Association of the DeafBlind

On June 30, 2010, the House Subcommittee on Communications, Technology and the Internet made an important and commendable move to advance the
21st Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act (H.R. 3101) a step ahead. The bill is aimed at making Internet, telephone and other types of communication accessible to people with disabilities. We are grateful to the House for this on behalf of Americans who struggle everyday to participate in American society because of their disabilities. But we are extremely disappointed that the voices of
America's un-served and small population of persons with deaf-blindness was ignored by the House when Section 105B of H.R. 3101 was removed.
If Congress wants to ensure equal access to 21st century communications for all Americans, then Section 105(B) should be restored because
without funding for technology development, training, and distribution, Americans who are deaf-blind will simply have to be left behind and further isolated. Equal access to communications technology cannot
happen without access to special equipment for people who are deaf-blind. But the technology they use is extremely expensive, and because they cannot afford it the assistive technology industry decided to ignore them, while the rest of Americans benefit from better and more advanced communication technologies they can afford that enable them to participate in the workplace and nearly all other aspects of American life. Many of the same technologies may also benefit visually impaired and blind Americans, in particular older Americans and blinded  veterans who served our nation -- it is a great way to reward our
visually impaired and blind service members. That is why we need Section 105(B) restored -- we want to include, not exclude, deaf-blind Americans in H.R. 3101 so that the quality of life for all Americans
improves and deaf-blind people live independent and productive lives and contribute to American society. But all Americans, including  members of Congress, will benefit from better communication with their
friends, colleagues, and fellow Americans who are deaf-blind.

Please follow this link to sign an online petition that will send letters to your congressional representatives.
<http://www.petition2congress.com/2/3378/lend-your-voice-to-support-ame
ricas-forgotten-community/ http://www.petition2congress.com/2/3378/lend
-your-voice-to-support-americas-forgotten-community/

Thank you!

DeafBlind Young Adults in Action
American Association of the DeafBlind

  a.. NFBA state convention pre-registration form follows after my signature.  If you have any questions, please call or e-mail me at -

Bob Kresmer, NFBA president
1 888 899-6322 krezguy at cox.net

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE
BLIND OF ARIZONA
64th Annual Convention
September 10-12, 2010
PRE-REGISTRATION FORM

NAME________________________________________________________________
ADDRESS_____________________________________________________________
CITY____________________________STATE____________ZIP_______________
HOME PHONE _________________________WORK_________________________
EMAIL ADDRESS________________________CELL _________________________

Please indicate the number for EACH item:
                                                Number  Total $
*Registration            ($15.00)        _______        $______
    ($20 at the door)
Plated Lunch - Friday   ($15.00)          _______        ______
Box Lunch-Saturday       ($15.00)        _______ _______
Banquet-Saturday                ($35.00)        _______ _______
Meals & Registration Total                                    $ _______
Meals will be for sale at the time of Registration but NOT sold AT MEAL TIME

Pre-Registration cut-off date: Thur.  8/28/10

Please make checks payable to NFBA and mail this form with your remittance to:
National Federation of the Blind of Arizona
255 S. Kyrene Rd. # 125
Chandler, AZ 85226
480/940-9929
Email:  baobrienaz at hotmail.com
(please mention NFBA in subject line)

HOTEL RESERVATIONS
Sheraton Crescent Hotel:  1-800-325-3535
2620 W. Dunlap, Phoenix, AZ 85021

FOR TUCSON/YUMA FEDERATION MEMBERS:

**Do you need transportation to the convention?** _____ Yes _____ No
Donations may be made payable to National Federation of the Blind of Arizona
and mailed to: 9014 E. Bellevue St. Tucson, AZ 85715