[Arizona-students] ASU Student

Suzanne Germano sgermano at asu.edu
Wed Apr 3 02:25:34 UTC 2013

I originally left school in 1996 to work full-time to support my daughter
and make sure she had a Montessori education. I worked both as a Montessori
teacher. I have certification for primary.  Then I went back to computer
programming. I was laid off in 2001 and while looking for a programming job
I worked for awhile as a personal trainer. I met my now fiance and he got a
job in Illinois and we moved there with him. I chose to stay home while my
daughter finished high school rather since we could make it on the one
income. Unfortunately it was a quick move thre and we knew nothing of the
area and there were very few homes to rent so I ended up 1.75 miles form a
bus stop. Luckily I was within walking distance to the gym because from
2002-2001 I competed in bodybuilding.  Which was also  a benefit of being a
stay at home mom I got to really pursue my competing and did quite well on
the national level and almost won pro status. He was laid off and end up
with a job in Arizona and we had a two week window to move and despite
trying to find a place that worked we ended up 5 miles form a bus stop for
2 years. Needless to say I felt like a prisoner although he made sure I got
to any place I needed to go. And our focus was to find a house near a bus
route, that took dogs etc So in August we moved up to No Phoenix/Scottsdale
area. So finally everything came together financially and transportation
wise that I was finally able to get back to school. I plan on finding a
position as a software engineer.

I actually knew grade two braille and probably remember some of it. I had
friends that were totally blind and I would braille some stuff for them.

I actually went to school a few different times right after high school and
there were a lot of issues I came out of 12 years of be miserable at
school. Teased daily for either being blind or pretending I was blind
because I wore sunglasses. Although I had an itinerant teacher she never
really worked on good skills. For example never thought to suggest a
monocular or mini binoculars for reading the board. So when I first went to
SDSU I had very low self esteem and had difficulties with computer access
at the time. So i started trying to think of "less visual" careers out of
feel of not being hired. So I tried languages but would never have like
that as a career. I left for a few years. Then the community college teamed
up with voc rehab and a business mentoring group and had a computer
programming certificate for the disabled. All the same courses at the AS
but all the computers were equipped with magnification, speech, there was a
full time signer etc I went through that and excelled finished the AS
degree in CSIS then returned to SDSU to do my BS and that is when
financially I need to stop to support my daughter and split up with her
father. Even when I returned to SDSU the second time I had professors tel
me "I can't imagine a job you could do" even though I had the highest A in
their course and took my tests in large print in the classroom. They still
felt my vision would hold me back. And for a very long time I let all the
years of hearing this affect my self esteem.

Making the choice to be there for her and make sure she had the Montessori
education was the best decision I ever made. She graduated high school with
highest honors, in May with be graduated with her B.S. in Biology with a
3.9 and is applying to Med School.

But I always had the goal of completing my degree and am finally doing it.
I am not looking forward to my bus ride in the 8 months of Arizona heat. I
preferred Illinois and grew up in San Diego.

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 4:21 PM, Arielle Silverman <Arielle.Silverman at asu.edu