[Art_beyond_sight_advocacy] newbie searching for advice on making community art shows accessible

Kestrell kestrell at panix.com
Mon Sep 28 20:06:27 UTC 2009

Hi, listers

I'mnew to this list and am hoping to get some pointers on making community art shows accessible.

I am heading the access services of a Boston area science fiction convention called Arisia
http://2010.arisia.org/
and one of the goals I have is to make the art show accessible. One specific element of this is attempting to organize a described tour of the art show.

Does anyone have any advice on how to create such a thing? I already haved the art show committee on board with the idea, but could use more specifics.

I am also hoping to locate an electronic copy of the book _Art Beyond Sight_; I requested that Bookshare attempt to acquire it, but they turned down my request because it is not for a class (I'm blind and a Bookshare member and volunteer). I would scan it myself but the book costs, according to Amazon.com, over $150.

Are there any less expensive books about making art accessible?

Thanks.

Kestrell
Reading in the Dark
http://kestrell.livejournal.com