[Art_beyond_sight_advocacy] newbie searching for advice on making community art shows accessible

Kestrell kestrell at panix.com
Mon Sep 28 20:36:04 UTC 2009

Hi, Shirley

It is a science fiction convention to be held in mid-January, 2010.

The art show is a really big event at Arisia, and includes many visual media
as well as multi-media such as sculptures, masks, jewelry, fabric sculpture,
etc.

Everything at Arisia is volunteer run, but I am trying to find someone
specifically with a strong interest in art. I expect this part will not be
too difficult.

The entire convention draws about 2300+ attendees, but I am guessing that
the audience for a described tour will be somewhere between ten and twenty.

There are a number of blind and low vision attendees who attend Arisia every
year (approx. ten to fifteen who use Braille and large print programs) and
at least four wheelchair users. I expect a handful of people would be
interested in the tour just to learn how one is done.

Each year we have at least some artists who put up "Please touch" signs on
their art, so I think there will be some tactile art for the attendees. Part
of the tour would be about guiding people to these specific art works.
Another aspect would be describing some of the more popular visual media
works in the art show. You can tell which are the most popular works because
the art is also auctioned off, and since interested buyers leave slips of
paper near the works to document their interest and their proposed price,
the slips of paper would indicate popularity.

The length of the tour should be less than an hour to allow people to get to
the next panel or event but no less than an hour.

I'm not sure how many art works are in the art show each year, but I've
walked through it with friends and it usually takes an hour or so.

Also, the art show coordinators are going to put a question on the
questionnaires for the artists in the show asking if they would be willing
to have people touch their work.

Kestrell