[Art_beyond_sight_educators] bridge, exhibition, tactile maps

fnugg at online.no fnugg at online.no
Mon Jan 26 14:01:26 UTC 2009

exhibition
*TUESDAY, JANUARY 27*
*Fitchburg State College
<http://www.seeingwithphotography.com/swpc_home.html>.* /Shooting Blind:
Photographs by the Visually Impaired./ Gallery Talk: 6:30pm. Opening
Reception: 7pm. 978.345.2151. Campus Center Art Gallery, 160 Pearl St.,
Fitchburg MA 01420.

Eurobank implements “Design for All” principles
http://www.emportal.rs/en/news/serbia/76318.html

article excerpt

Ripley: Mesa students find inclusive sculptures along light rail
http://209.85.129.132/search?q=cache:E2IMxELnTywJ:www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/134366+Ripley:+Mesa+students+find+inclusive+sculptures+along+light+rail&hl=no&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=no
There’s an inscription under a bronze sculpture at a light rail station
under “A” mountain in Tempe that I’m betting you can’t read.

Oh, if you took a good look at the sculpture you might recognize it as
Roosevelt Dam, just as you undoubtedly would recognize the one next to
it as the Tovrea Castle. (That’s the wedding-shaped building that looks
out on East Valley commuters as they curve on the Loop 202 near Phoenix
Sky Harbor International Airport).

You might recognize the sculptures but you probably couldn’t read the
inscriptions because they are in Braille and only in Braille.

I can’t read Braille either, but I know what the inscription says
because several of my companions on a light rail outing this last week
are blind or teach the visually impaired. In fact, there was quite a bit
of chatter about the inscription as we left the rail and headed toward
the park-and-ride lot next to the Sycamore Station in west Mesa.

article excerpt
Model of new Stillwater lift bridge offers a vision in green

A three-dimensional model of the proposed Lift Bridge also will be on
display.

The model is about 2 1/2 feet tall and was created by Feyereisen Studios
of Minneapolis. It was designed using Braille and other features to also
allow the visually impaired to experience the model.

"It's a very unique model and it's the first time we ever built a model
for the blind," said Bob Feyereisen, whose company built the model with
the help of two consultants from the blind community, Ken Rodgers and Jo
Taliaferro.

The $10,000 model has lampposts held in place by magnets so that they
can detach, instead of break off, when someone touches them. And the
crosswalks, instead of just being painted, have a thickness so that a
blind person can feel there's a crosswalk there, Feyereisen said.

http://www.startribune.com/local/east/37942474.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUsr

Blog

Tactile Maps

http://ajfowler.wordpress.com/2009/01/20/tactile-maps/