[Art_beyond_sight_educators] sculpture, china, geography, stroke dialing and androids

Lisa Yayla fnugg at online.no
Fri Jun 12 11:49:37 UTC 2009

Hi,

A mix of links to articles. One particularly interesting about stroke
dialing on an screen leads to thoughts about possibilities
of other types of impute to a screen - shapes etc - might be useful for vi.

Regards,
Lisa

Metalwork sculpture leaps into life at RNC in Hereford

A FUTURISTIC painting of a running man has made the leap from paper to
reality.

Herefordshire artist Walenty Pytel has overcome memory loss to produce
Futuristic Runner.

The piece was commissioned by the RNC (Royal National College for the
Blind) and is based on a painting by former student Sarah Withers.

http://www.herefordtimes.com/news/4433949.Metalwork_sculpture_leaps_into_life_at_RNC_in_Hereford/

article

Armed with a camera, the blind capture their world

It's an almost counterintuitive question: Can the physically disabled
become artists? The answer depends, to a certain extent, on how one
defines art. As the expression of one's personal interpretation of the
world around him, art can be created by just about anyone. And, after
all, if Beethoven could produce musical masterpieces without hearing
them, surely the visually impaired staff of Beijing One Plus One
Cultural Exchange Center can become photographers.

And so they did. One Plus One, an organization run by people with
disabilities that aims to provide media outlets and support for the
disabled, teamed up in May with the international group PhotoVoice to
train eight of its staff to use photography as a way to communicate
their experiences of the world around them

http://www.china.org.cn/culture/2009-06/11/content_17928906.htm

article

Braille Literacy: Insights from a Michigan Home School
...she received permission from Milton Bradley to adapt the Twister
board, using fabrics which were the same color as the areas on the board
but had rich texture like velvet, felt, thick corduroy and terrycloth.

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/view/105637

article

Artist who lost her sight but not her vision

lthough she always dabbled in drawing it remained a hobby, a creative
outlet she simply enjoyed. Ironically, it was only after she began to
lose her vision nine years ago that she recognized her penchant for
drawing as a gift.

“When I realized that I would no longer be able to work at a desk job I
found myself needing something to keep me going. A friend suggested that
I take an art course just to keep my spirits up,” said Suzanne, now age 43.

Suzanne, who has had juvenile diabetes since age seven, developed a
complication of the disease called diabetic retinopathy and two years
after her diagnosis, was declared legally blind.

“When I started to lose my vision I was a little scared about what I
would do with my life but I also saw it as an opportunity to re-invent
myself, to try something new,” she says.

Initially, Suzanne began experimenting with classes in different art
techniques, ranging from sculpture to painting, but it was acrylic
painting that seemed to suit her developing style the most.

http://www.cjnews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17080&Itemid=86

artcle

http://www.nature.com/naturejobs/2009/090611/full/nj7248-877a.html
Blinded in 1984, geographer Reginald Golledge was this year named
Faculty Research Lecturer by the University of California, Santa Barbara.
Q&A

How did you begin on your career path?

In the 1960s, I discovered that a theoretical and quantitative
revolution was transforming the previously descriptive field of
geography, so I decided to research how people acquire spatial knowledge.

How did sudden blindness affect your career?

I was completely lost. I had no idea how I was going to teach without
access to notes, prepared lectures or overheads. Figuring out how to
continue my research was even more difficult. One day, two psychologists
— Jack Loomis and Roberta Klatzky, both then at the University of
California, Santa Barbara (UCSB) — asked if they could help. Roberta
suggested I find ways to build on my previous mental-map research. They
agreed to meet with me weekly and we began 25 years of intense
collaboration, which took my research in a new direction towards
dissecting spatial cognition. In the process, I became more competent
and was able to continue my academic life while helping other blind
people around the world.

What is your greatest scientific achievement?

I pioneered a behavioural approach to human geography to study how
humans find their way in the world. More than anything else, I think I
opened the field's eyes to the fact that the geography you carry in your
mind, your mental map and the way you process spatial information, are
just as important as recording the facts of human existence on the
surface of Earth. In addition to an objective reality, there is also
subjective reality — what is stored in your mind's mental model of the
world.

What has given you the most career satisfaction?

I've been developing a personal guidance system for blind travellers
that allows them to be completely independent of guides or guide dogs.
Our prototype got a great deal of recognition, and now companies in many
countries are producing these guidance systems. They're similar to
vehicle-guidance systems, which use GPS and spatial databases or
electronic maps.

Do you have any advice for disabled people who want to be scientists?

Disabled people can make long-term career plans, but it takes a strong
commitment to their work. ......

site

Fair Use Lab

Mark Willis Re-Imagines Accessibility Through Free Culture

http://fairuselab.net/

article
Android Might 'See' an Eyes-Free Interface
Stroke dialing article
and youtube video
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Android-Might-039-See-039-an-Eyes-Free-Interface-113647.shtml