[Art_beyond_sight_educators] George Mendoza fabric line

Lisa Yayla fnugg at online.no
Fri Oct 16 11:01:43 UTC 2009

Westminster Fibers <http://www.westminsterfabrics.com/pub/designers.jsp>
is one of the leading producers of high quality 100% cotton, flannel,
fleece, poplin and other fabrics. Their talentend trendsetting artists
include well known artists (and /Threads, //SewStylish
<http://www.craftstylish.com/sewstylish>/ and/or /CraftStylish.com
<http://www.craftstylish.com>/ authors) such as Kaffe Fassett
<http://www.kaffefassett.com/Home.html>, Amy Butler
<http://www.amybutlerdesign.com/main.php?fl=0>, and Anna Maria Horner
<http://annamariahorner.blogspot.com/> to name just a few. Their latest
fabric line was created by George Mendoza
<http://www.georgemendoza.com/> a blind artist affiliated with Art of
Possibility Studios <http://www.aopstudios.com/>. This studio is the
only for-profit art publishing and licensing brand exclusively
representing physically disabled artists with the goal of providing them
with recognition and income opportunities. Ketra Oberlander
<http://www.droolingcat.com/people/ketra/>, founder of Art of
Possibility Studios (herself a blind artist) admists that "it's
incredibly rewarding to license George's fine art into practical
applications, such as this fabric collection, which will touch and adorn
so many lives around the world."

George Mendoza is not only an award-winning artist, he's also an author,
athlete, and motivational speaker who has touched the lives of many. He
tells a wonderful story that inspired one of his paintings:

/"What color is the Wind?" I was fifteen, and a little girl named Debbie
who was born blind, who had never seen the color green or the shape of a
tree, asked me a question after the wind blew through her long brown
hair. "Can you tell me, what color is the wind?" That question just blew
my mind because I was just losing my sight then. She woke up my creative
sense by asking me that question...When I started having this eye
problem, I was upset with these visions, the dazzling colors. I talked
to a priest at the Holy Cross Retreat. "Paint them," he said, "Make
designs, pictures out of them"./