[Art_beyond_sight_educators] Kathleen Kridler-Loss of sight giveds artist a more focused vision

Lisa Yayla fnugg at online.no
Fri Feb 5 14:05:24 UTC 2010

Hi,

Great article about Kathleen Krinder, artist.
I was sent this article a good while back. Please excuse the
delay in forwarding.

Best,

Lisa

article excerpt

Loss of sight gives artist a more focused vision

Kathleen Kridler sat in her studio scrutinizing her latest work. The
piece hadn't turned out like she had expected, but that was typical.

It was a portrait of her youngest son, his bare feet on a river rock
surrounded by water, his figure looking back with an expression only his
mother might decode.

On this recent weekday, she was trying to decide if it was finished. She
walked up to the piece, took off her glasses and scanned the surface
with her left eye from within an inch or two. She put her glasses back
on, backed off a few feet and took in the entire work.

"There's a little more I need to do on this one," Kridler pronounced.

She had a deadline: In 10 days, her first solo show would open in a
Norfolk art gallery.

Much of her work, she said, starts out as an accident but turns out
better than she could have planned. "Which is kind of a metaphor for
what ended up happening to me," she said.

"If you had told me five years ago, when I was a designer, 'OK, you're
going to be legally blind in five years, and you're going to get
everything you wanted.' "

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/12/loss-sight-gives-artist-more-focused-vision