[Art_beyond_sight_educators] Judy Druck

Shifrahw at aol.com Shifrahw at aol.com
Sun Apr 4 21:03:08 UTC 2010

dear elizabeth
so sorry for your loss. may your wonderful memories of the very  special
relationship your shared with your grandmother be a source of comfort to  you
at this time.
shiffy wassner

In a message dated 4/4/2010 12:43:38 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
elisabethaxel at aol.com writes:

Grandma Judy died this morning. Most of  you know that Grandma Judy was my
inspiration to begin Art Education for the  Blind and for many years was a
key reviewer of our experimental work --  inventing a "tactile" and "verbal"
language to translate the visual into what  we now call a "multi-modal"
language for blind people. Encouraging blind  people to draw, to paint, to do
photography.  Grandma conducted our  earliest trainings at museums with me and
so many of you knew her  personally.  I share this email with my extended
Art Beyond Sight/ Art  Education for the Blind "family".  Art Beyond Sight
Awareness Month shows  just how much her inspiration and all of your
perspiration has accomplished.  To think that when I tried to take Grandma to a
museum back in 1987 that I  could only find one that could really accommodate us
in New York City.

She said so many times "Elisabeth I wish I could be in your  pocket." You
know Grandma Judy will always be in my pocket. And my friends and
colleagues, whoever has been your inspiration, I hope they continue to  encourage you
on in your pocket too. While we sure have a long way to go, look  just how
far we all have come together.

As my brother said so well,  "Grandma lived an incredible life of love,
independence, and courage. I never  heard her complain about anything other
than her shoes.  The way she  dealt with her adversity was an inspiration and
lesson. "
In the last few  weeks Grandma and I spoke of Art Education for the Blind's
past and future  plans ---
About the past -- we reminisced about AEB's first class and in  particular
one of the first students who was really depressed and was not  leaving his
apartment. In fact, he told Grandma he was considering suicide.  Well,
Grandma "gave it" to this gentleman to live life and not complain.  Grandma
"reached" this gentleman who though blind, took back up the  photography that he
loved, got a job and got married.

And about  AEB's future -- she was thrilled by the White House support of
our cause --  really thrilled-- she knew as I know that this is the first
time in so many  years that we're seeing the possibility of lasting change in
our field; about  the change in federal funding guidelines to include
stronger "access"  language  she said "don't tell me about the idea, tell me when
the idea  is done";  about the plans for a tour for blind people of the White
 House; our May benefit -- that Daryl and Ved would  speak....museums
opening up...kids learning daily living skills, self esteem, people who are on
the outside being included.

Grandma said to my son Elisha age  7: " Have a good life". And that,
essentially has been the essence of  Grandma's and my  efforts together. That all
people should have a good  life.

This below photo was taken last week. Here's Grandma  enjoying a meal at
her favorite restaurant. Hot chocolate, chopped liver,  "crispy fish", mashed
potato and carrots dressed in her pink Brooks Brother's  cashmere sweater.
Thanks to a taxi that was wheel chair accessible. Access and  Inclusion for
all.

Art_beyond_sight_educators  mailing  list
Art_beyond_sight_educators at nfbnet.org