[Art_beyond_sight_educators] 3D photos, camera app, Craig Royal, exhibition

fnugg at online.no fnugg at online.no
Fri Aug 2 10:26:18 UTC 2013

3D Printed Photos can be Seen by the Visually Impaired
Amanda Ghassaei <http://www.instructables.com/id/3D-Printed-Photograph/>
of Instructables has used an Objet Connex500 3D printer to add a sense
of texture to photographs. The images are still meant to be viewed in
2D, but the printer uses different thicknesses to create a silhouette
effect.
http://www.psfk.com/2013/05/3d-printed-textured-photos.html

Question
Processing photos for the visually impaired
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?p=15961432

Camera tells the visually impaired where to focus

Dustin Adams, a PhD student from the University of California
<http://www.ucsc.edu/>in Sta. Cruz, and his teammates have developed a
camera app specifically for the visually impaired. The app provides
audio instructions to a visually impaired person to help him/her focus
the camera and take a good picture.

Adams and his team--who all work at the Interactive Systems for
Individuals with Special Needs (ISIS) Lab
<http://isis.soe.ucsc.edu/home>--ran a survey among 54 respondents
  between the ages of 18 and 78 and asked about the difficulties they
encounter when taking photos with a camera. The respondents had varying
degrees of visual impairment--some were completely blind, some were
partially blind, and some had a degree of light perception.
http://www.psfk.com/2013/05/camera-for-the-blind.html

Researchers develop an app to help the blind take better photos

http://www.techhive.com/article/2038634/researchers-develop-an-app-to-help-the-blind-take-better-photos.html
Researchers Create Smartphone App That Helps Blind Photographers Line Up
Shots
http://petapixel.com/2013/05/10/researchers-create-smartphone-app-that-helps-blind-photographers-line-up-shots/

Interview with Visually Impaired Fine Art Photographer Craig Royal
<http://petapixel.com/2013/04/15/interview-with-visually-impaired-fine-art-photographer-craig-royal/>
Craig Royal: I'm a visually impaired fine art photographer. I'm legally
blind due to a congenital form of optic nerve atrophy. I have been
legally blind since birth. My vision had been 20/200 corrected up until
1992, when a white blind spot began to develop in the center of my
visual field in both eyes.
http://petapixel.com/2013/04/15/interview-with-visually-impaired-fine-art-photographer-craig-royal/

Craig Royal - Fine Art Photography <http://craigroyal.zenfolio.com/>
http://craigroyal.zenfolio.com/

Meet Award-Winning Visually Impaired Photographer Craig Royal
http://www.visionaware.org/blog.aspx?BlogID=9&BlogEntryID=681

Sight, memory and feeling explored at Prairie Gallery
Photographs that delve into the complexities of sight, memory and
feeling will be on view at Prairie Gallery beginning Saturday, as
Prairie hosts a selection of new photographs by the Seeing with
Photography Collective, a group of blind, visually impaired and sighted
artists from New York City.
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20130412/ENT07/304120019/Sight-memory-feeling-explored-Prairie-Gallery?nclick_check=1

Startup of the Week -- Invici Technologies
<http://blogs.calgaryherald.com/2013/04/05/startup-of-the-week-invici-technologies/>
Traditional computer and mobile devices are great for exploring imagery
like diagrams, maps, tables and graphs if you can see them, but people
with limited sight cannot use these products. As a result, the visually
impaired community faces serious levels of under employment, reduced
mobility and technology exclusion.

Enter Invici Technologies, a startup that's developing accessible
computer interfaces to help the blind and visually impaired easily
explore, edit and share digital media and spatial information. Invici
transforms images that are normally displayed as pixels of light on a
screen into a unique touch friendly format, saving users considerable
time, money and frustration.

Founder and CEO, Doug Hagedorn says they are currently focused on
creating technologies to help visually impaired students and their
teachers exchange educational content in the classroom

http://blogs.calgaryherald.com/2013/04/05/startup-of-the-week-invici-technologies/

http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-642-31534-3_80