[Art_beyond_sight_educators] {Spam?} Tactile Art Center,

Lisa Yayla fnugg at online.no
Tue Jun 21 11:59:30 UTC 2016

Hi,

Sending links to an exhibition about two artist and tactile art plus,
video about it - excerpt from the explanation with the vimeo video which
I thought was very interesting.

"Prior to the mid-1800s, tactile interaction was commonplace for
visitors experiencing collections of art, but as museums of art evolved,
rules forbidding touch became the norm. In some cases, these were to
protect artwork that truly was not meant to be touched, but in large
part these norms had nothing do with preservation and everything to do
with nineteenth century politics of gender, race and class control."

This new gallery show encourages you to get hands-on with art

When we think of going to an art gallery
<https://www.timeout.com/los-angeles/art/best-art-galleries-in-los-angeles>,
we tend to expect to be walking around, looking at pieces with our eyes
and considering them from a few feet back. With a show opening on June
24, one West Hollywood gallery is challenging those preconceptions.

/Please Touch the Art/ at Cantor Fine Art
<https://www.timeout.com/los-angeles/art/cantor-fine-art> features a
group of artists’ works which all share one thing in common: an
invitation to get a little hands-on. They call the idea "tactile art."

As the gallery’s co-owner,  Sam Cantor, told LAist
<http://laist.com/2016/06/16/please_touch_the_art.php>,  inspiration for
the show grew out of a story he was told by Laguna Beach artist Andrew
Myers. Myers specializes in crafting elaborate mosaic-like pieces from
screws which he arranged at various heights and then painted, creating
portraits with depth and texture evocative of topographical maps—and one
day, a blind stranger walked in and put his hands on the art, almost as
if it were printed in Braille. This lead Myers and Cantor to find the
man, who turned out to be a furniture maker and artist in his own right,
George Wurtzel, about whom Cantor made a short documentary, which you
can see below. The experience left Cantor fascinated with the idea of
tactile art and using the sense of touch in art and story-telling.

Next up for Wurtzel and the tactile art movement is a project to convert
a former grape crushing barn in Napa into the first Tactile Art Center,
a space fully dedicated to encouraging the blind to create, observe and
sell art.

https://www.timeout.com/los-angeles/blog/this-new-gallery-show-encourages-you-to-get-hands-on-with-art-061716

Please Touch the Art video

https://vimeo.com/166149898

http://www.gmwurtzel.com/

Please Touch All Of The Art At This West Hollywood Show

http://laist.com/2016/06/16/please_touch_the_art.php

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/life/features/a-rare-sight-app-allows-the-blind-to-see-photos-34631371.html

http://www.ozarksfirst.com/news/facebooks-new-feature-for-visually-impaired-users

All in the Family: Artist Larry Walker Debuts at His Daughter’s Gallery

"The earliest works in the exhibition are from his 1960s Children of
Society Series. The artist’s Remnant Series is made up of acrylic
abstracts with collaged remnants of paper. When Larry started painting
again in Atlanta, he continued the Figurative Series he had started in
California. That work evolved into the Blindfold Series, a response to
learning he had glaucoma.

“Contemplating the notion that I might go blind at some point in time, I
started doing these figures that had blindfolds on. In another series, I
did figures that had no eyes,” Larry said in the BOMB conversation."

http://www.culturetype.com/2016/06/19/all-in-the-family-artist-larry-walker-debuts-at-his-daughters-gallery/

Art Of The Visually Impaired On Exhibit In Plattsburgh

http://wamc.org/post/art-visually-impaired-exhibit-plattsburgh#stream/0

Artist volunteer wins volunteering award

http://www.charitytoday.co.uk/artist-volunteer-wins-volunteering-award/

Meet young artist Jamie Thomas — who cannot see, hear, taste or balance

http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/meet-young-artist-jamie-thomas-11463649

Art exhibtion opens at Bradford College

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/14550734.Blind_artist_s_loss_of_vision_influenced_her_exhibition_work/