[Art_beyond_sight_theory_and_research] Movies for the blind

Kestrell kestrell at panix.com
Wed Dec 9 21:15:39 UTC 2009

Hi, Listers

I'm finding this thread of particular interest as I am a completely blind
but formerly sighted movie fan with a master's in media studies. I know the
cultural attitudes toward blind people's ability to appreciate film and tv
is pretty shallow at times, and I often read people on public forums and
blogs making jokes about what a funny idea it is that blind people might be
able to get anything out of visual media, so I understand how frustrating
and dismissive those kind of comments can feel.

In my experience, however, most blind people are very aware of how visual
media is different, that it involves more immediacy in the narrative, along
with the presence of costume, setting, costume, sound effects, and
soundtracks, usually on a much more detailed level than other media, such as
ebooks. Even when one can't access a spoken description, one can often
deduce or imagine what those elements of the story are like. Also, the best
actors are able to convey expression through voice and, I believe, physical
expression which manage to come through in the audio of film.

Most of all, however, even if one is blind, there is usually no lack of
description, plot synopsis, and many other details, which are available in
trailers, reviews, discussions, online movie transcripts, TVTropes.com,
merchandising, fan fiction, idle comments, whatever, and a lot of that gets
absorbed into the viewing experience. I don't believe a blind viewer's
experience of a movie or tv show is ever as thin as many people assume,
because if it were, there wouldn't be so many blind people with televisions
and subscriptions to NetFlix. Just the amount of information we absorb
through our cultural contacts with other people means many of us already
carry around a lot of info about these media forms, and that's the aspect to
this subject which I find so amazing that so many people overlook it: our
knowledge of visual media is just like the way many of us could sing the
question and answer format to "Jeopardy" or the theme song to "Gilligan's
Island"--media is our atmosphere and we absorb it like water.

Kes