[Art_beyond_sight_theory_and_research] 1980 music video "Hello" from Loinel Richie

Lisa Yayla fnugg at online.no
Fri Jun 12 14:55:18 UTC 2009

OK, for a bit of change .... 1980 music video "Hello" from Lionel Richie
about an art student who is blind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFfQYrNohw4

and perhaps a bit off subject, but a nice article

Saying it with silence

excerpt
There was this very beautiful line that I read in Orhan Pamuk’s novel,
‘My Name Is Red’. He wrote about a blind man watching the snowfall and
smiling to himself. That line stayed with me for a long, long time. How
could a blind man watch the snow?

http://www.odemagazine.com/blogs/readers_blog/7789/saying_it_with_silence

Art with heart
http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?newsid=1262878

article

An inspiration for everyone to become pioneers

The festival showcases the latest in technology, medical research and
can-do spirit through symposiums such as ''Vision Substitution in the
Blind by Means of Tactile Stimulation of the Tongue'' and clinics that
teach swimming, kayaking, golf, handcycling and wheelchair fencing.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/story/1085356.html
article

http://nowherelimited.com/mark_mothersbaugh/index.html

Mark Mothersbaugh, well-known as a founding member of the innovative
band DEVO, has been creating artwork in many forms for more than 3
decades. His love of visual art began in childhood, just after it was
discovered that he was extremely nearsighted and legally blind. His
first correctional glasses offered the young Mothersbaugh a new view of
the world, fueling a lifelong infatuation with imagery and illustrations.

Mark's recent visual artwork has been largely inspired by his 30-year
habit of creating handmade postcards to send to friends from various
stops on DEVO tours. This obsession has evolved into a visual diary that
currently yields the artist 1-25 new images per day. These images have
served as the basis for the artist's critically acclaimed solo shows of
the 80s/90s as well as for his "gallery tours" which have been occurring
at art venues throughout the globe since 2003.
http://markmothersbaugh.com/
http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2009/may/29/rug-burn-devo-mark-mothersbaugh-nederland-art/

artilce

Greenhouse project serves disabled

Tucked into Golden Gate Park's nursery, Elva's Greenhouse was the scene
recently of a lively party. The greenhouse is Ben Oude Kamphuis' latest
addition to Project Insight, the city program he directs that connects
disabled people and gardening.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/06/05/HOTR17QQ4H.DTL

article

Art works by students at the Our Center in Hastings, the Florida School
for the Deaf and Blind and other area schools are on display now at the
St. Johns Cultural Council’s Art Advocate gallery in St. Augustine.

Many of the works came from programs that were funded, in part, by
grants from the Cultural Council.

The show opened May 30 during Uptown Saturday Night, St. Augustine’s
monthly walking tour through the shops and galleries north of downtown.

http://www.pontevedrarecorder.com/content/1047_1.php

article
Eric Church to headline Keller festival
The week's concerts include performances from Shane Baker and gospel
artist Todd Agnew beginning at 7:15 p.m. Thursday, June 25. McDonald
will perform the next night at 8:30 p.m. On Saturday, June 27,
performers include Eric Church, Jake Landers, John Paul White, the Kerry
Gilbert Band and others.
http://www.timesdaily.com/article/20090605/ARTICLES/906055028?Title=Eric-Church-to-headline-Keller-festival-

helenkellerfestival.com