[Art_beyond_sight_theory_and_research] photo,art, exhibition

fnugg at online.no fnugg at online.no
Sun May 10 17:38:58 UTC 2009

excerpt
The Smithsonian Institution is committed to making the annual
Smithsonian Folklife Festival accessible and enjoyable for all visitors.
The 2009 Festival features “Giving Voice: The Power of Words in African
American Culture,” “Las Americas: Un mundo musical/The Americas: A
Musical World” and “Wales Smithsonian Cymru.”

The 10-day Festival, held outdoors on the National Mall between Seventh
and 14th streets, will be from Wednesday, June 24, through Sunday, June
28, and Wednesday, July 1, through Sunday, July 5. Admission is free.
Festival hours are from 11 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. each day, with concerts,
special events and dance parties extending into most evenings.

Visitors with disabilities who need assistance are advised to report to
the Information kiosks located at various points around the Festival
site or to the Volunteer tent located in the Festival Services area near
the Smithsonian Metrorail station’s Mall exit. A large-print version of
the Festival’s daily schedule and food concession menus will be
available. The Festival program book is available on CD and in other
formats upon request. A limited number of wheelchairs will be available
at the Volunteer tent for loan.

http://7thspace.com/headlines/308818/smithsonian_is_committed_to_making_the_annual_folklife_festival_accessible_and_enjoyable_for_all_visitors.html

excerpt
Art From the Heart program gives Boulder seniors the chance to get creative
In her classes, Andrews works with residents from ages 84 to 99. She has
worked with seniors with multiple sclerosis, dementia and other
disabilities, as well as a woman who is legally blind.

"Even though I can't see very well, it's still fun for me," said
participant Jennie Maio, 85, who has diabetes. "When I started to paint
I was so happy. It makes me have my hour of fun. Even when I was sick I
got out of bed just to paint."

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2009/may/08/art-from-the-heart-program-seniors/

excerpt

The Art of Texas Exemplified in One Huge Painting

Viewers will have the opportunity to paint on another smaller painting
to get a feel for being part of the ‘bigger picture’. The artists who
participated in the original painted spoke of a multitude of good
feelings that the project instilled from camaraderie and inspiration to
importance and accomplishment. A San Antonio teacher gave extra credit
to her students for participating. Three people were able to paint, even
though they were blind. The artist responsible for coordinating this
outstanding achievement will be on-hand to visit with viewers about the
project.
http://therecordlive.com/article/Beyond_the_County/Beyond_the_County/The_Art_of_Texas_Exemplified_in_One_Huge_Painting/53358

excerpt
PHOTO: ISVI art opening

Breanna Carpentier reads raised print Thursday on a piece on display at
the annual art opening at the Illinois School for the Visually Impaired.
The event is designed to replicate the experience of a gallery art
opening, complete with refreshments.

http://www.myjournalcourier.com/news/art-22405-opening-piece.html

link to article
Exploring Kentucky
A?Touching Experience
Unique museum provides visitors with a new sense of awareness
http://www.kybiz.com/articles/article.cfm?id=917

excerpt
Leslie Mayer Art Exhibit at Bob Kirby Branch
A few years ago Leslie was diagnosed with Macular Degeneration which has
seriously hampered her ability to paint the detailed watercolors and
acrylics that she was noted for all of her life. Macular Degeneration is
the most common cause of vision loss in individuals over the age of
fifty-five. Blind in her left eye and partially in her right, and
legally classified as “blind”, she has learned to adapt. The loss of
detailed sight has given her a new appreciation for color and shape, as
evidenced in her beautiful "Other World" paintings.

Leslie’s work will be on exhibit at the Bob Kirby Branch at 175 Iron
Skillet Court. It opens May 4 and runs through May 29. For more
information, visit www.warrenpl.org or call 782-0252.

http://www.bgdailynews.com/articles/2009/05/06/the_amplifier/arts/doc49f1ee5bd83c1331571409.txt

excerpt

As photographer and curator, Douglas McCulloh keeps Inland images coming
known nationwide and in Europe and Mexico City.

McCulloh, 49, of Riverside, has had numerous exhibits in local venues.
He is well-known beyond the confines of the Inland Empire, having
mounted solo shows in museums across the country, in Europe and in
Mexico City.

In addition to "Dream Street," he is also the curator of a new exhibit
at the California Museum of Photography, "Sight Unseen," which is the
first museum exhibit of work by blind photographers.

McCulloh says the Dream Street project came about largely by chance,
which is the way he likes it.

http://www.pe.com/thingstodo/other/stories/PE_News_Local_S_mcculloh06.395b9b5.html

excerpt

    Art for visually impaired affects entire community

[Comment Below <http://uweekly.com/newsmag/05-06-2009/11149#addcomm>]

By Katherine Liebers

Doing something different is nothing new for art galleries. But last
week, the university's Urban Arts Space embarked on a project that
changes a long-forbidden practice. Now, patrons will be allowed to touch
the art.

(Or at least a representation of it.)

The Urban Arts Space gallery, which is housed in the Lazarus building
downtown, now features tactile tours specifically designed for the
visually impaired. According to the gallery's accessibility coordinator
Eva Ball, the tours are designed to objectively describe the visual
components of a piece.

"We just want to build the image in [the vistors'] minds so they can
make their own impression of the art," Ball said.

Additionally, participating artists provide touchable remnants,
physical-likenesses of the actual displays, to allow patrons a tactual
experience of the visual art.

According to Ball, this "benefits all demographics" - sighted and
non-sighted visitors alike.

Renowned disability studies scholar, Georgina Kleege, agreed. During the
Access Arts Community event last week, which celebrated the onset of the
gallery's tactile tours, Kleege explained how accessibility efforts
meant to benefit the disabled often improve the community at large.
http://uweekly.com/newsmag/05-06-2009/11149

excerpt

Emeritus medal well-timed recognition for Churcher

Although King now employs assistants for heavier work, she still makes a
point of working at her art every day. "Sometimes not as much. I do get
tired. But once you start on something, you don't stop. Artists are very
lucky people. They work until they drop. I still work as hard as ever."

http://www.theage.com.au/news/entertainment/arts/emeritus-medal-welltimed-recognition-for-churcher/2009/05/05/1241289165003.html

link to sight

Blind Eye Photography <http://blind-eye-photog.blogspot.com/>

A page to share my photography As a visually impaired photographer it
takes longer sometimes to get "that" shot, but it is my passion and when
I do get it, sometimes I forget that I am legally blind.

http://blind-eye-photog.blogspot.com/2009/05/i-refuse-to-lose.html

excerpt

Playing with Fashion: New 'Phenominoes' Pendants Feature Blind Artists'
Phenomenal Artwork on Real Dominoes

Unique fashion accessory adds a fun, playful pop of whimsy to any
ensemble while serving the greater good; Stylish low-cost pendants
support disabled artists seeking financial independence

SANTA CLARA, Calif., May 5 /PRNewswire/ --- Ground-breaking Art of
Possibility(R) Studios (www.AOPStudios.com), the only art brand
exclusively representing physically disabled artists in a for-profit
model, today announced it has finalized a licensing agreement with
Phenominoes(R), the wildly popular line of pendants featuring
extraordinary works of art on real dominoes. Under the deal, Phenominoes
has licensed 27 Art of Possibility Studios images created by two
inspirational and talented blind painters for reproduction onto the
company's innovative domino pendants, each accompanied by
color-coordinated ribbon necklace and a special clasp making the
pendants interchangeable from one necklace to another. All available
designs may be viewed online at
http://www.aopstudios.com/store_necklaces.php.

Phenominoes' new Art of Possibility Studios collection features artwork
by two acclaimed blind painters: Art of Possibility Studios founder
Ketra Oberlander, whose award-winning work has been featured on ABC-TV's
"Extreme Makeover: Home Edition," and George Mendoza, who has been
featured in the two PBS documentaries The George Mendoza Story (1989),
narrated by Robert Duvall, and Vision of the Soul -- The George Mendoza
Story (2006).

"With these unique pendants, consumers can satisfy their desire for
novel, fashion-forward accessories while simultaneously shopping their
deeply held values of compassion and inclusion, in this case supporting
the disabled artist community in their quest for financial self
sufficiency," notes Oberlander. "For a very modest cost people can have
wearable art that's pretty, fun and serves a greater good."

http://sev.prnewswire.com/art/20090505/SF0926005052009-1.html