[Art_beyond_sight_theory_and_research] iphone, Body building, teacher artist, Lunar Craters txt and wav file

Lisa Yayla fnugg at online.no
Mon Jul 25 13:09:45 UTC 2011

video of new Iphone app - bill recognition
Blind iPhone users discover a wealth of useful apps
http://newsok.com/blind-iphone-users-discover-a-wealth-of-useful-apps/article/3586744

Braille book brings lunar craters down to earth
NASA Ames releases new book with tactile diagrams for visually impaired
readers

Craters more than 200,000 miles away from Earth are now within reach for
visually impaired readers thanks to a new Braille book that debuted
Monday at the NASA Ames Research Center in Moffett Field.

"Getting a Feel for Lunar Craters" features tactile diagrams of the
lunar surface and is designed to educate the blind and visually impaired
about Earth's moon, according to NASA
http://mv-voice.com/news/show_story.php?id=4509

http://lunarscience.nasa.gov/articles/tactile

text version
http://lunarscience.arc.nasa.gov/files/getting_a_feel_for_lunar_craters.pdf
audio file
http://lunarscience.arc.nasa.gov/files/getting_a_feel_for_lunar_craters.wav

http://www.nightskyobserver.com/the-moon/nasa-creates-tactile-book-for-the-visually-impaired-to-learn-about-the-moon/
http://www.agiweb.org/geotimes/june04/education.html

Babineaux sees his dream being realized

Baron Babineaux Jr. has spent eight months pursuing competitive
bodybuilding, a sport that relies on listening to instructions and
seeing the results of gym hours, without having the ability to do either.

At age 12, Babineaux was diagnosed with Usher’s syndrome, which means he
is deaf and legally blind.

Sliding his hands over and around gym equipment, Babineaux chooses a
machine, straddles the seat and starts his workout in preparation for
his first competition. Trainer Josh Sonnier stands behind him and taps
on his shoulder indicating when to start and when to stop.

“He’s a 32-year-old man,” said Sonnier. “He’s no different than me. We
talk about the same things.”

By “talk,” Sonnier is referring to the system of tactile gestures the
two have worked out to communicate. Although Babineaux has taught
Sonnier some signs, most of their code is a series the two worked out on
their own.
http://www.iberianet.com/news/babineaux-sees-his-dream-being-realized/article_06e40d92-aaa2-11e0-93c6-001cc4c03286.html

Blind artist shares beauty
Pauline Harper might be blind, but she sees, and shares, plenty of beauty.

The New Plymouth artist was born with a condition that means depending
on the light, she has between 3 and 7 per cent of the vision
non-sight-impaired people have.

Most of the time she can only make out the vaguest of shapes and colours.

"I only see pretty people, I can't see wrinkles or spots or anything
like that," she said.

But sometimes she can see more than people with perfect sight.

"When it's foggy, it's like living in rainbows. I never realised that
most people don't see them until my husband asked me, 'How can you find
something so grey and miserable beautiful?' "

This extraordinary perception of the world comes through in her textured
and raised paintings, which she describes as "the best form of
counselling", having helped her work through loss, grief, abuse, fear
and chronic illness. And she enjoys helping others like her express what
they see and feel in a similar way.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/taranaki-daily-news/slider/5260403/Blind-artist-shares-beauty

Longview woman applies Swedish art to blankets and throws

Colleen Holten, an avid reader who is legally blind, didn’t need another
hobby that would strain her eyes.

Still, her mother kept getting her to try Swedish weaving.

"I had no interest," the Longview woman said. When she finally relented,
agreeing to try a table runner while on a cruise, Holten was hooked.

"It’s very, very relaxing," she said. "Instead of gambling" on the
cruise ship, "I was in my bunk, weaving."

http://tdn.com/lifestyles/article_831fc7f4-aa8c-11e0-ae93-001cc4c03286.html