[Art_beyond_sight_theory_and_research] John Bramblitt, flag

Lisa Yayla fnugg at online.no
Thu Sep 15 08:38:28 UTC 2011

Blind artist introduces parish students to his colorful world
   September 14th, 2011

John Bramblitt says it sounds crazy that the loss of his sight led him
to a career as a visual artist, but that's exactly what happened.

The 40-year-old artist from Denton, Texas, whose work is on display at
the "Sight Unseen" exhibit at the Old Post Office Museum, was invited to
speak at a Winnsboro-Franklin Chamber of Commerce luncheon Thursday to
explain how art helped him cope with blindness.
Bramblitt was left blind ten years ago by a rare form of epilepsy.
http://www.franklinsun.com/news.php?id=4018

article about Degas exhibition
Despite chocolate box image, Degas a "radical"

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/09/13/uk-arts-degas-london-idUSLNE78C04620110913

Blind SC Students Receive Tactile American Flags

SPARTANBURG, S.C. (AP) Students at the South Carolina School for the
Deaf and the Blind recite the Pledge of Allegiance each morning, never
knowing exactly what they're saluting.

The Herald-Journal of Spartanburg reported (http://bit.ly/pGCXGk) that
changed Friday, when visually impaired students received 17 tactile
American flags. The Kate Barry Chapter of the Daughters of the American
Revolution donated the flags.

DAR members in Missouri hand-crafted the flags. Blue braid borders a
square of shiny star-shaped brads, and nylon webbing indicates where the
red stripes are. Students can feel the 50 stars and the 13 red-and-white
stripes.

Students say they're happy to have flags in their classrooms that help
them understand the history in the design.

DAR members say the school needs another 57 flags. They're working with
other organizations to supply those.

http://www2.counton2.com/news/2011/sep/10/blind-sc-students-receive-tactile-american-flags-ar-2389359/

a mention on a website - but no link to original

"The colors are so bright and the design quite unique. But it got better
the more I read about it. This is artwork from a team of two BLIND
artists!!!"
http://thetygerlily.com/tag/blind-artist/

article

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20110910/ARTICLES/109091030/1083/ARTICLES?Title=Tactile-American-flags-allow-SCSDB-students-to-see-what-they-are-saluting

*"Emotional" Phones Relay Handholding, Kisses*

The technology may be used to help blind mobile phone users read braille
on handsets.

http://www.mobiledia.com/news/107571.html

John Bramblitt

In the Old Post Office Museum in downtown Winnsboro, Bramblitt's
exhibit, 'Sight Unseen', will remain through November First.

The artist, with his faithful guide dog, Echo alongside, led a workshop
at Franklin Parish High. Students painted with blindfolds to aquaint
themselves with a blind artist's world.

If you'd like to know more, John has a book coming out in the spring.
It's title: "Shouting in the Dark".

"It is full of my paintings. It tells the story of how I lost my
eyesight and the depression I went through from that. And how I learned
to paint and how that helped me."

http://www.knoe.com/story/15429038/blind-artist-visits-winnsboro?clienttype=printable

http://www.coastlinepilot.com/news/tn-cpt-0909-dubin-20110909,0,6189002.story
friend told him the other day that he led a blind man to the sculpture.
The man had gone down to the park and was trying to find the beams. His
friend led the man to it and he quietly stood there, just feeling the
fallen beams.

http://www.coastlinepilot.com/news/tn-cpt-0909-dubin-20110909,0,6189002.story

Sight unseen
Works of blind artist on exhibit in Winnsboro. John Bramblitt offering
workshop Saturday

http://www.thenewsstar.com/article/20110908/LIFESTYLE/109080305

CBS news video
Blind Man Is One Talented Painter