[Art_beyond_sight_theory_and_research] Term - relief vs tactile

Robert Hopkins r.hopkins at sheffield.ac.uk
Sat Jan 21 15:50:11 UTC 2012

Dear Lisa,

Might I raise the question whether 'tactile' or 'tactual' is more appropriate? I take the latter to be the equivalent of 'visual': the minimal way of tying the phenomenon to a sense modality (here, touch). 'Tactile', in contrast, I take to suggest inviting, or promising to reward, touch. So, while all the surfaces on a cellphone may be tactual, if only the keys are made of something satisfying to touch, then they are tactile, as the rest is not.

Of course, it's another question whether 'haptic' should be preferred to either of the 'tact...' options. It's also an open question, if one accepts the distinction above, which of the terms is more appropriate for the graphics that interest you.

Rob