[Art_beyond_sight_theory_and_research] Dale Chihuly glass and students, VSA , Laurie Rubin, Bramblitt

Lisa Yayla fnugg at online.no
Fri Nov 9 13:34:37 UTC 2012

Laurie Rubin paints with the colors of music
Mezzo-soprano Laurie Rubin dreams in vivid color --- though she's been
blind since birth.
Yellow? That's the scent of ripe lemons and the warm sun glinting off
her cheeks as a child in Encino. White is the crunch of snow and the
feel of frothy shaving cream oozing between her fingers. Silver is the
cool silkiness of chrome.
And brown? That's the sound of B-flat. It reminds the singer of chocolate.
"I always joke that part of me can sense color from maybe having had a
past life," Rubin says. "When people say silver or purple, I understand
what they're saying."
Rubin's new memoir, "Do You Dream in Color? Insights From a Girl Without
Sight," not only touches on her complex relationship with the color
spectrum, it chronicles her against-all-odds rise from musical prodigy
as a child in the San Fernando Valley to accomplished international
opera singer
</topic/arts-culture/genres/opera-%28genre%29-01011000248.topic>.
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/culture/la-et-cm-laurie-rubin-20121106,0,7557350.story

APH Insights 2012, the annual international juried art competition for
visually impaired artists that is sponsored by the American Printing
House for the Blind, is having a public showcase for the artists' work
at the Galt House today through Saturday.
The displays are during the 144th annual meeting of the trustees of the
printing house organization. This is the 21st year for the competition,
which features 82 works by artists from across the United States.
Participants range from pre-school children to senior citizens and
include professional artists, as well as hobbyists and school art
classes. Entries cover a wide range of subjects in a variety of media,
including painting, drawing, sculpture and photography. For information
about the show, visit www.aph.org
<http://links.govdelivery.com/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTIxMDExLjExMTI2ODMxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDEyMTAxMS4xMTEyNjgzMSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE3MTk3MTYzJmVtYWlsaWQ9c3NoYWZlckBjb3VyaWVyLWpvdXJuYWwuY29tJnVzZXJpZD1zc2hhZmVyQGNvdXJpZXItam91cm5hbC5jb20mZmw9JmV4dHJhPU11bHRpdmFyaWF0ZUlkPSYmJg==&&&111&&&http://www.aph.org/>.
APH InSights Art
http://www.aph.org/museum/insights.html
article
John Bramblitt, the blind Painter who "sees"
... Instead, Bramblitt is planning to return to UNT for graduate school.
And he *had his first flying lesson this summer* as part of a long-term
plan to use colored smoke to create abstract art in the air.
*"I'm obsessed with painting," he says. "In expressing myself,
connecting with people, it's become the way I see the world."*
http://www.qualitativelife.com/cristalina/2011/03/07/john-bramblitt-the-blind-painter-who-sees/

article
Meet Main Line Art Teacher Patty Papatheodore
Meet this non-traditional teacher from the Main Line Art Center Patty
Papatheodore
http://haverford.patch.com/articles/meet-main-line-art-teacher-patty-papatheodore

blog
A lesson in Realistic/Abstract Portraiture for a blind student
http://arteducationdaily.blogspot.no/2011/03/lesson-in-realisticabstract-portraiture.html
article
Exhibit at Blue Star explores light, visual perceptions

.... Then, six or seven years ago, Cunningham-Little began to develop
her own vision problems.
"That's what you see with cataracts; you see haloes of light where
nothing is defined," says Cunningham-Little, pointing to a work in
"Breathing Light" called "Cataracts."
It's a blue wash of rectangular light, with an elongated white-hot slot
in the center, captured, almost like a light painting, inside a white
wooden box that acts as a frame.
"I view these works as sort of painterly," she says.
But creating them is more technically demanding than applying paint to a
canvas. Cunningham-Little describes a time-consuming, labor-intensive,
close-work process involving meticulously cutting layers and layers of
diffracting and colored film, which will be backlit by different shades
of neon inside the 10-inch-deep box.
Another work, titled "Slit" --- inspired by medications doctors
prescribed to improve her vision --- brings to mind a glowing
pharmaceutical capsule, while "Corona," with its hot red center and
rings of lavender, orange and gold, is like staring into the sun. Not
surprisingly, it comes from real life, too, energized by the artist's
volunteer work on archaeological digs in West Texas, where "that sun is
really something."
All of these trippy, multidimensional works --- and especially "Blue Dot
for Meditation" --- seem to breathe and pulse and shape-shift before our
eyes. Conveniently, wooden benches have been placed in the darkened Blue
Star gallery for maximum enjoyment. It's a very participatory art
exhibition.
http://www.mysanantonio.com/entertainment/visual_arts/article/Exhibit-at-Blue-Star-explores-light-visual-1316506.php
news video and article

Blind Kids Can Paint with New Invention

A blind artist in Louisiana is using a special technique to help teach
blind children to paint.
Ricky Trione lost his sight 11 years ago, but he didn't let that stop
him from painting.
http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2011/April/Blind-Kids-Can-Paint-with-New-Invention-/

His glass menagerie
... In 1976, a car accident on the outskirts of London left him blind in
his left eye, with permanent damage to his left foot and ankle. Glass
blowers need both eyes for depth perception. Three years later, a
body-surfing accident dislocated his shoulder, making it even harder to
deliver what he envisioned.
He turned in a new direction: toward the age-old system of glass blowing
with a team. As the artist in charge, he became a choreographer, not
dancer, an architect, not builder.
"Once I stepped back,'' he has said repeatedly, "I liked the view.''
At this point, his career took off. Henry Geldzahler, then curator at
New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art, acquired three of his "Navajo
Blanket Cylinders'' for the museum. The patterning of Navajo trade
blankets inspired fat orbs with a lovely and loose patterning....
http://www.boston.com/ae/theater_arts/articles/2011/04/03/mfa_exhibit_finally_gives_colorful_artist_dale_chihuly_his_moment/?page=2
article news video
Visually impaired students get unique art experience

"It really grabs you and with so much color", says glass artist Dale
Chihuly.

He is renown for his unique take on blown glass. Dale Chihuly's hot shop
Seattle studio team churns out some of the most whimsical and inspiring
glass shapes in the world.

"If you feel the surface you will feel it is like a pineapple," Chihuly
tells a groups of students.

On this day, the artist is in Boston helping a group of blind and very
low vision students see his work.

"Well I have never done anything like that before," says Chihuly.

It isn't very often that anyone might be offered the chance to feel what
a piece of fine art looks like.

"Incredible, incredible. Like nothing you ever felt before? Nothing no
nothing," says student Renzo Rios-Nino.

Chihuly's through the looking glass is now open at the Museum of Fine
Arts in Boston. He himself has a vision problem, having lost an eye in
car accident several years ago. It has not slowed him, an inspiration to
the kids.
http://www.necn.com/04/06/11/Visually-impaired-students-get-unique-ar/landing_arts.html?blockID=498784&feedID=4214

/No Limits/ between artists and the community
For 33 years, the nonprofit VSA arts of Georgia
<http://vsaartsga.org/index/about_us> has focused on making art
accessible to Georgians who are disabled and/or living with low incomes.
"We facilitate the donation of more than $2 million dollars worth of
ticket stock from 130 venue partners to the constituents of more than
400 agency partners serving more than 100,000 people per year," says
Executive Director Elizabeth Labbe-Webb.

http://clatl.com/freshloaf/archives/2011/04/02/no-limits-between-artists-and-the-community