[Art_beyond_sight_theory_and_research] Living Paintings, astronomy, car rallies, Molecular biosciences

Lisa Yayla fnugg at online.no
Wed Nov 21 12:20:57 UTC 2012

15th BPA car rally to kick off tomorrow

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2012-02-04/ahmedabad/31024740_1_shelly-bapna-rally-blind-people-s-association

Accessibility is vitally important for people with disabilities and
older mobile users
"As a Londoner, I use the tube a lot, and have downloaded Tube Deluxe to
help me navigate it," says PR executive Tim Lovell, who is also colour
blind. "Many think of the London Underground map as one on the pinnacles
of design, but it does fall down for people who are colour blind. The
colours of the Hammersmith & City line and the Waterloo & City line are,
for example, almost indistinguishable to me. To its credit, Transport
for London does have a colour blind map available to download, but I'm
yet to find a London Underground app, which there are plenty of, that
makes use of it."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/smart-accessibility/accessibility-disabilities-older-mobile-users?newsfeed=true

Making Astronomy Accessible for Blind and Partially Sighted People

 From an early age children are taught about the world of Space.
 From the very first steps that man ever took on the moon, to the
speculated possibility of alien life on another Planet.

For decades science fiction has dominated a large portion of the media.
Children are fascinated by blockbusters such as Stephen Speilburg's
*"ET,"* George Lucas' cult classic "*Star Wars,"* and the all time
classic BBC's *"Doctor Who."* With all these influences it's no wonder
why children announce that cultivated saying
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/emily-davison/making-astronomy-accessib_b_2121022.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

Living Paintings organization
A FREE library of Touch to See books bringing to life the visual world
for blind and partially sighted people

http://www.livingpaintings.org/

Blind man uses his ears to see
http://edition.cnn.com/2011/11/09/tech/innovation/daniel-kish-poptech-echolocation/

Kenai kids learn art through 'tactile' lessons
http://www.northjersey.com/news/education/170887461_Kenai_kids_learn_art_through__tactile__lessons.html

The Tactile Rubik's Cube for the Blind
http://technabob.com/blog/2012/09/19/tactile-rubiks-cube/

Blind student creates adaptive learning tools for visually impaired

Molecular biosciences and biotechnology senior Ashleigh Gonzales lost
her eyesight as a 13-year-old. A lack of tools for visually impaired
science students threw up obstacles in her academic life.

While her visual impairment offers challenges in learning, it inspired
Gonzales to contribute to technology development to minimize these
challenges.

Gonzales inspired the creation of 3-D tactile boards in a program called
3-D IMAGINE, which is used to help visually impaired students learn
material without the help of a lab aide.

These boards are made from a cheap plastic in a machine that can carve
detailed pictures pertaining to each course into the plastic

http://www.statepress.com/2012/09/10/blind-student-creates-3-d-picture-boards-for-visually-impaired/